Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Erik Zurcher

Re: Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:16 pm

http://scottishlute.com/

This is one of my favourite websites. Thank you Rob for compiling such a wealth of Scottish lute music.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Ha, thank you, Erik, for caring! But I am not sure I will complete that massive undertaking, as today I sold my two lutes, and tomorrow, perhaps, my 19th-century guitar. The reason? Two fold: I am finding it harder to keep all those plates spinning, and I want to raise money for a really good classical guitar. Best wishes to you, Erik!

Also: http://scottishguittar.com

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Bless you, Rob! Keep all those plates spinning even without possessing lutes for the sake of art, in particular Scottish art. It's a rotten job, but someone's got to do it and you are best qualified. Have you ever considered joining forces with Matthew McAllister or Allan Neave to preserve Scottish lute music? I believe that the three of you could stimulate students at the RCS to study, play and appreciate Scottish lute music. Just an idea!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

I was a lecturer in Lute and Guitar there for seven years. I tried VERY hard to stimulate interest. Eventually I became exasperated and left. These days I use the Internet, and reach a much greater number of interested and interesting people.

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Bless you, Rob! Keep all those plates spinning even without possessing lutes for the sake of art, in particular Scottish art. It's a rotten job, but someone's got to do it and you are best qualified. Have you ever considered joining forces with Matthew McAllister or Allan Neave to preserve Scottish lute music? I believe that the three of you could stimulate students at the RCS to study, play and appreciate Scottish lute music. Just an idea!

If you have never tried Scottish lute music - many pieces work beautifully on CG (with sometimes a little tweaking as there are lower bass notes in especially the later lute pieces) . At the moment I am trying a couple of the excellent Mister Beck's arrangements of traditional (maybe pop) songs in the late 17th century (from Balcarres lute book).

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 am

Or you could buy my book The Scottish Guitar (Centerstream) which has many Scottish lute tunes in it :D

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Tonyyyyy wrote:With nails I tend to have less contact with the string - no-nails more contact. That may help to avoid misses and random louder notes. As Rob says no-nails needs a rather different technique and we find out what works partly by experimentation

Thanks Tony! It's definitely a work in progress :)

RobMacKillop wrote:...and I want to raise money for a really good classical guitar.

I just have to put in my two cents here haha...I've been perusing your YouTube channel and I have to say that the instrument I prefer by FAR is the Torres copy by Michael Nalysnyk. The sound that you make come out of that thing is nothing less than amazing. I don't know if you own that guitar or not...but how much better could you actually get than that?! I'm guessing it's a copy of Torres' first epoch instruments so it's more like a romantic period guitar, but you've played Tarrega and even Lauro on it proving that it can handle modern music. The Lauro especially sounds soooo good, it's a sound that's uncommon in the CG world but I wish it weren't! In fact, a David Russell video of "La Negra" auto-queued and started playing after your performance on YouTube and it sounded so harsh and metallic to me. Don't get me wrong, I love David's playing - but I think we need more nail-less players playing on smaller bodied instruments in this age of ping-pong ball nails and carbon fiber guitars haha..

Anyway, I realize that it's all a matter of personal preference, but that's just what I think :)

Oh, BTW...what strings were you using on that guitar?
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks!

I can't remember what strings I used, sorry.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Nylgut. I can't remember if it was the new or the old type. I think the new, as a guess.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 pm

By the way, I never owned that guitar. It was nice though. Michael is a good maker. I can't afford to own all the instruments you see me play on my videos. Sometimes they are on loan from a luthier, sometimes they belong to a student. The best guitar I ever played? Easy: a genuine Manuel Ramirez from c.1904, which belongs to Edinburgh University. The current Ramirez workshop makes a copy of one like it, but at a price I will never be able to afford, ever. Ah well...

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Gotcha - well Michael, you make a great instrument and Rob, you play it in such a way that I could listen to it all day! I bought your Sor album off of cdbaby today as well...that was recorded with one of Michael's guitars too right? It's very refreshing to hear Sor this way...the music sounds new and fresh like I'm hearing it for the first time!

RobMacKillop wrote:The current Ramirez workshop makes a copy of one like it, but at a price I will never be able to afford, ever. Ah well...

Buuuut, would the copy sound close to the original even if you could afford it??

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I'll never know! Probably not. 100 years of ageing is impossible to recreate in three months (or however long it takes them to make it).

Glad you like the Sor, album. Yes, that guitar, a Lacote copy,was kindly loaned to me by Michael. I know he sold it later. The Torres copy too. I count myself lucky to have played them.

I must hire you as my publicity agent!

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:41 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
I must hire you as my publicity agent!

You mean he's not on your payroll already? :lol:

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:55 pm

LOL - he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack :)

Hey Poli - quihubole?

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Well, it's just that a couple of my acquaintances on this forum have even been chastised for promoting their commercial interests so baldly. But, not others--that much is apparent. :wink:

Now, I warn you--don't go getting into a fight with me. I have nails and I'm not afraid to use them!! :lol:

Return to “Members' Announcements”