da Milano, Francesco / da Crema, G. M. - Ricercari - Lute Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Valéry Sauvage

da Milano, Francesco / da Crema, G. M. - Ricercari - Lute Video

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Two very similar pieces, we can say in fact the same piece but by two composers... The first one, I think it is the original, is Ricercar (N84) by Francesco da Milano, and the other one is the version of the same piece published after da Milano's death by Govanni-Maria da Crema.
Played here on a lute made by Didier Jarny, 6 course and tuned with an octave string on the fourth, fifth and sixth courses.

Youtube
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: da Milano, Francesco / da Crema, G. M. - Ricercari - Lute Video

Post by GeoffB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:13 am

Thank you, Val, nice piece (or pieces). Interesting to hear them as a pair too. Of the two, I think I have a slight preference for the original.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”