Scarlatti, Domenico - K213/L108 Sonata in D minor - D10

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Jouni Stenroos

Scarlatti, Domenico - K213/L108 Sonata in D minor - D10

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Hello,

Here is my take of the Scarlatti's beautiful Sonata K.213. The transcription for a 7-string guitar is my own. Ric already recorded some nice versions of this with his new guitar, and I usually avoid posting something that has just been posted by someone else, but since I had this under work already, I thought to share it anyway. My transcription is also a bit different in a few places.

I hope you enjoy!

-Jouni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

wolfgang

Re: Scarlatti, Domenico - Sonata in D-minor K.213 (L.108)

Post by wolfgang » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Brilliant, Jouni! I love those spots where the deep basses provide some extra rolling thunder. Your musical skill is outstanding, those trills are just ....... :casque:

Thanks a lot for sharing with us for free despite the hard work you've probably put into it. Don't worry about multiple instances of the same piece - everyone's free to listen .... or not :|

:merci: :bravo:

Jobio

Post by Jobio » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:04 pm

As always,professional!

Beautiful!

:bravo:

sniggl

Post by sniggl » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:08 pm

jounis wrote: ...I usually avoid posting something that has just been posted by someone else...
You never should avoid this - it is allways an enjoyment to compare some very good recordings of the same piece.

:bravo: :merci:

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

freestroke

Post by freestroke » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, in that case, I just won't listen...
sigh :kap:
:casque:

Another musical marvel from Jouni. sigh.

:casque:

Absolutely first rate! :bravo: I'm so glad I couldn't resist! :ouioui:
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

cn90

Post by cn90 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi jounis,

What did you do in your previous life???????.....:)
Anyway, amazing interpretation. You should produce a CD.
Great job!

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:19 am

cn90 wrote:...... You should produce a CD.
In case Jouni is too humble to promote himself: Jouni Stenroos' CD available :wink:
EDIT: I see you have posted in this thread :oops: Ok, so I'm with you ... Jouni should produce another CD :D

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:53 am

Very clean, patient playing, as always. :bravo: This version has alot of notes that differ from most of the vesions ive heard
of this piece.
I wonder, how these situations are treated. Where do you get these note changes? Do you change them yourself?
Are there different transcriptions? Is there one definitive transcription that is exactly what Scarlatti wrote?

I think you're a world class guitarist, but at the risk of being lynched by my fellow Delcampers, i would say, there
is something a bit "cold" or slightly "sterile" about your recordings. Hard to put my finger on it. Also, i notice many of your interpretations
are a bit slower than im used to hearing. Though that aspect, is growing on me as i listen to more of your stuff.
I own your CD, and i think its excellent.
Thank you for blessing us with countless works of art. :merci: You are a master of the instrument.
H

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Hybrid wrote:Very clean, patient playing, as always. :bravo: This version has alot of notes that differ from most of the vesions ive heard
of this piece.
I wonder, how these situations are treated. Where do you get these note changes? Do you change them yourself?
Are there different transcriptions? Is there one definitive transcription that is exactly what Scarlatti wrote?
Sure there are different transcriptions for guitar. Scarlatti wrote for harpsichord. The first problem comes from the fact that we
have to drop the right hand part one octave lower, but we cannot drop the left hand part one octave because it would fall below
the range. The result is that in some places the lower part goes above the higher part (or vice versa)). The second problem is that some things just
cannot be played, left hand cannot reach some lower notes while playing some upper melodies, or chords contain too many notes. So, we have to change things. How to do it, is the challenge. If you try to be as accurate as possible, you probably end up with very difficult version to play. Making good transcriptions that are faithful enough for the score, follow the period rules well enough (in places you have to change something) and are nicely playable also by less advanced player is a huge challenge.

In this particular piece, if you compare my transcription and some other guitar transcriptions to the original, you might find that I'm closer to the original in some spots. Partly because the 7th string adds some possibilities (like fretting low E at 7th fret), and partly because I made different choices (to which I could give reasons if they were questioned) in some places. And my version is also a bit harder to play than some other versions I've seen, for example Duarte's or Jan-Olof Eriksson's.
Hybrid wrote: I think you're a world class guitarist, but at the risk of being lynched by my fellow Delcampers, i would say, there
is something a bit "cold" or slightly "sterile" about your recordings. Hard to put my finger on it. Also, i notice many of your interpretations
are a bit slower than im used to hearing. Though that aspect, is growing on me as i listen to more of your stuff.
I own your CD, and i think its excellent.
Thank you for blessing us with countless works of art. :merci: You are a master of the instrument.
H
Thanks, Hybrid

You started a thread about the endless praises and lack of criticism in this forum. I agree you in that, although I understand the reasons why people mostly give positive feedback, especially for beginners. I do not mind negative comments, because having only positive comments voids the meaning of them. How do you know what is good food if you never have tasted bad food?

About the tempos... when I was younger, I was known of playing everything fast, some times too fast. I don't know what has happened, I've probably got old. But I do have one theory: when you don't know what to do to a passage of music, you tend to play it fast through to get over it. Not a valid general rule, but applies to some cases, and often to extreme rubatos where you just rush passages in the name of "espressivo" and "rubato". I call those senseless rubatos. To me, every note is important, the beauty of the music starts from the single note, extends to small motives, then to phrases, and finally to bigger forms. Maybe that's why I play some pieces slower today. I also approach the music differently than in the past. In place of listening to other guitarists play this Sonata, for example, I listened good harpsichordists play it.

But that does not mean I play everything slowly... :-)

:bye:

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:

celime

Post by celime » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm

It is like to make the beautiful walk that to listen you in these beautiful, long sentences, of Scarlatti... (hope you anderstand my personal english :oops: )

Many :bravo:s and :merci:s

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Another great performance of Scarlatti! :bravo:
Hybrid wrote: Also, i notice many of your interpretations are a bit slower than im used to hearing. Though that aspect, is growing on me as i listen to more of your stuff.
I for one prefer it when a guitarist lets the music "breathe" - I think too many performers these days (and not just guitarists) play pieces too fast and something spiritual within the music gets lost. I think you summed it up very nicely:-
jounis wrote: To me, every note is important, the beauty of the music starts from the single note, extends to small motives, then to phrases, and finally to bigger forms.
I think I'll try and approach my own playing more like this - such good advice. :merci:
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks celime and lucy!
:merci:

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: Scarlatti, Domenico - Sonata K 213 / L 108 in D-minor

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:23 am

I have always adored this Scarlatti sonata. This rendition of it is the most interesting one I've ever heard.
Jouni, what you say - about the beauty of music growing from the single note, then to the phrase and the sentence - is musical wisdom. This is the way to penetrate inside the notes and to bring out their real meaning. The emotion that comes from the playing in this mp3, is the real emotion of the music itself, not the artificial emotion imposed by the performers vanity.
I agree totally with both you and Hybrid that constant praise is meaningless, but what I say here is what I mean.

For me, the real test of the value of a performance is whether I have an immediate urge to listen to it again. As I've been typing this, I've listened three times. I would definitely buy a CD of Scarlatti sonatas played by you in this manner...HINT HINT!
Sublime.

Denian

owl

Post by owl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 am

This is just wonderful music Jouni... I am truly lost for words
Such a graceful, expressive rendition... I love how you play this

Thank you :flowers:

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Paul Saywood

Post by Paul Saywood » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Hello Jouni,

I am not anywhere near accomplished enough to give any kind of critique, so a simple piece of applause is what I shall give. :bravo: Wonderful playing and rich tone, very enjoyable. :)

Thanks for posting your work
Paul

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”