[Youtube] Oh my god, who designed this guitar?!

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
glassynails

[Youtube] Oh my god, who designed this guitar?!

Post by glassynails » Thu May 26, 2016 11:54 pm

"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Erik Zurcher

Re: [Youtube] Oh my god, who designed this guitar?!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 27, 2016 5:59 am

This is guitar is made by Greek luthier Yorgos Kertsopoulos, also member of this forum (be careful of what you write :wink: ). Perhaps Yorgos himself can explain the concept of this multi-timbre rectangular guitar with movable back pedal.

Smaro Gregoriadou is an amazing guitarist. Check out her impressive videos on YouTube.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Dear glassynails and dear Erik,
Thank you very much for your posting Smaro Gregoriadou's rewarding interpretation of the beautiful Cello suite by J.S.Bach (which I greatly appreciate and thank her from heart) and also for your commenting on my guitar's design and construction; since Erik suggested that I could give some more info. concerning this guitar I will try to inform you, without tiring you, with the main info. and if you require more details it will be a pleasure to supply them to you. The specific guitar played by Smaro was designed and contructed by me in 1996 and it is a multi-timbre rectangular guitar with movable back pedal. As the guitarist plays, by pressing slightly the guitar's back to her/his chest, pedal effects on the sound are produced and according to the manner of speed or gentleness or suddeness that this will be done, the effect of the pedal will be different for each case. The back of the guitar is movable because it is fastened at the rear-bottom of the instrument but from the sides to the top of the guitar the guitar's back is completely in the air and is not fastened to the sides atall. The spruce top of the guitar experiences no torque of the strings whatsoever because the stings are located/fastened on the "minimal guitar", which the guitarist plays and this "minimal guitar" holds all the torque of the strings and it is then fastened with removable nut/screws manner to the top of the spruce top of the guitar and the rectangular spruce top of the rectangular body acts as an amplifier of the "minimal guitar's" acoustic behavior; without however the rectangular spruce top of the guitar's body to have to balance in any way the usual "torque burden" imposed on the top of a normal guitar by the bridge, which is directly glued to the top of the guitar, transferring "torque tensions".So, the rectangular spruce top of the body of the guitar amplifies by "sympathetic resonance" the sound vibrations transferred through to it by the "minimal guitar" which is fastened on top of it. The back of the guitar is completely adjustable, meaning that it can be adjusted to different distances from the sides and to different angles altering accordingly the cavity of the vibrating air because it is fastened to the bottom of the guitar with screwed nuts that permit tightening and untightening of the back so it can be adjusted accordingly or even be removed completely. In this manner we have multi-timbre possibilities because we can adjust the vibrating air cavity to thousands of different sizes and designed constructions. In order to view an all around view of the guitar's design and construction I post below a video of a similar construction guitar, where however it employs two necks, two "minimal guitars". The upper neck has normal tuning and the bottom neck as one plays has one octave higher tuning employing my high-tuned strings. I play the high tuned neck of this double neck multi-timbre rectangular guitar with movable back pedal and apart from the double neck, all other constructional features are exactly the same as the guitar played by Smaro. The video shows an all-around view of the instrument. If you need more info. it will be a pleasure to supply it to you. Thanks again for your interest in Smaro's playing and in my work. All best to you and to everyone in the forum. Yorgos

Youtube

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:21 pm

I am really impressed that Erik immediately knew the answer. I think he wins the internet today.
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for your info, Yorgos. I appreciate your experimental and exploring mind. Are you happy with the result? In other words, does the guitar sound as good as you expected?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Fri May 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Thank you Erik for your interest and kind comments. Yes, the guitar sounds better than expected. In all my designs and constructions, if the end result does not surpass my expectations the end result is never made known to anyone. This is my basic rule in all my designs and finalized constructions. Take care, thanks from heart for your interest and kindness.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 27, 2016 7:23 pm

kertsopoulos wrote:...In all my designs and constructions, if the end result does not surpass my expectations the end result is never made known to anyone. This is my basic rule in all my designs and finalized constructions...
:bravo:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 am

Wow, excellent playing, but the guitar would be awkward! The case alone would have to be huge. Thanks for posting the video.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat May 28, 2016 12:52 am

I wonder if it could double as a suitcase.

Sorry, but it's very strange in my opinion. Reminds me of the movie MAD MAX or something along the steampunk style.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sat May 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Casting pearls before swine...

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sat May 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Kloeten wrote...Casting pearls before swine...
Thank you for your comment!All best!

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sat May 28, 2016 6:00 pm

In a short while I will post a video that will show many constructional views and details with photos of the outside and the inside of the guiar and how the movable back is attached to the body of the instrument etc. I have completed and I am uploading this video to youtube right now especially for you in this forum. Thank you all for your interest! Take care!

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sat May 28, 2016 6:37 pm

In this video you can see many constructional details of the instrument.

Youtube

http://mathematicalmodelguitar.blogspot.gr/ If you are interested about the "Mathematical Model of the Guitar".
http://kertsopoulosaesthetics.blogspot.gr/The "KERTSOPOULOS AESTHETICS" Methodology: Guitars & Strings, official blog.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Double-top guitars are strange to traditionalists, and too loud for some ears. The old vihuelists would probably hate modern guitars for their relative lack of delicacy. Electric guitars are guitars, but they sound extremely different from acoustic guitars... Sitars are very strange looking to a guitarist, but completely normal-looking to Indians, who play them pretty well, I've heard...

So it looks different, "strange", so what, Glassy? It's a neat experiment. And you don't have to play one! :D
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

burtong

Post by burtong » Sun May 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Awesome. Thank you Yorgos Kertsopoulos for posting your description and video. Very interesting. This is one of the best reasons to belong to this community ... to be exposed to such creative talents.

Return to “Our favourite websites”