Brazilian greats performing their own songs

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
lucy

Brazilian greats performing their own songs

Postby lucy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:06 pm

I came across these today. They aren't quite CG, but they are related. I think there's something magical in these performances. :)

Jobim with Andy Williams: The Girl from Ipanema

Youtube

Luiz Bonfa: includes Manha de Carnaval

Youtube

Joao Gilberto: Desafinado

Youtube
"Art is never finished, only abandoned". Leonardo da Vinci

jurica_c

Re: Brazilian greats performing their own songs

Postby jurica_c » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:56 am

Watching these videos on Sunday morning. That is all I need.
Thanks for posting this.

Cipher

Postby Cipher » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:51 am

lucy wrote:I came across these today. They aren't quite CG, but they are related. I think there's something magical in these performances. :)

Jobim with Andy Williams: The Girl from Ipanema

Youtube

Luiz Bonfa: includes Manha de Carnaval

Youtube

Joao Gilberto: Desafinado

Youtube

They're all wonderful and lovely but will probably get deleted or their links taken away by our mods here because it's all copyrighted music that doesn't have any permission to be up on YouTube, oh well... :(

Thanks for sharing anyway.

luigibrandao

Postby luigibrandao » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Really good stuff, mate... I'm from Brazil myself and indeed when you think in terms of brazilian musical contribution and evolution these two names (Jobim and João GIlberto) undoubtedly come to mind. Two giants not only in understanding the guitar but also in comprehending music in general, they performed several incursions throughout music theory and history in order to create a very unique sonority in guitar (not to give them all the credit, of course; names such as Radamés Gnatalli, Chico Buarque and Garoto - to mention but some - should be brought about here). One may seclude oneself with a guitar, paper and some Gilberto discs for months on end intent on studying his peculiar voice leading and chordal configurations, and one would definitely have at hand loads of new colors for one's improvisational and compositional color palette, whether interested in approaching "classical music" or otherwise. Truly, if you have some time to spare, try playing, writing down and understanding what this man did on our beloved instrument. You'd be surprised.

Return to “Our favourite websites”