James Boyd guitar and James Laing countertenor

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
muirtan

James Boyd guitar and James Laing countertenor

Postby muirtan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi, a few years ago there was a discussion on the site about James Boyd. Some were asking when he was going to bring out another CD. No plans yet that I know of but he is uploading videos onto youtube which he's asked me to share. This one is with the countertenor James Laing

https://youtu.be/wl3pJLZa__s

Hope you enjoy it.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: James Boyd guitar and James Laing countertenor

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:14 pm

That's extremely super. For some reason they don't bother to say exactly which Schubert it is.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

muirtan

Postby muirtan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:48 pm

I thought that I'll tell him next time to say what the piece is. I had to email him to find out who the singer was. Really strange as in concert he gives really good introductions to pieces with a lot of background information.

Glad you liked it.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:52 pm

muirtan wrote:I thought that I'll tell him next time to say what the piece is. I had to email him to find out who the singer was. Really strange as in concert he gives really good introductions to pieces with a lot of background information.

Glad you liked it.

Looks like they're trying things out before wanting to launch properly - which is fair enough.
Louis Panormo (1838)

muirtan

Postby muirtan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 pm

If that's the case I'll be able to give him some feedback.

I had a quick look at your site. Amazing what a small world it is I noticed John Arran wrote a review for one of your compositions, John's a good friend of mine and is very impressed with James.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:13 pm

muirtan wrote:If that's the case I'll be able to give him some feedback.
I had a quick look at your site. Amazing what a small world it is I noticed John Arran wrote a review for one of your compositions, John's a good friend of mine and is very impressed with James.

Very small world indeed :-)

... and getting smaller too it seems.

I have one feedback for the videographer, which is a personal thing, but I realised that when the image cut away from the performance to the 'before the shot' or 'random about the house' footage, I just stopped listening, and was thinking 'what a cool house I wonder if its James or Jamie's' ... which is not exactly what I personally want to happen when I'm listening to Schubert.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:55 am

muirtan wrote:...Hope you enjoy it.

I did, very much! That was lovely, thanks!

The High Notes

Postby The High Notes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Hey all,

Many thanks for listening and also for your valuable feedback. James used to do a lot of work with Michael Chance and once he started to step back from singing James decided he needed to keep a countertenor on hand for doing interesting projects.....somehow my name got mentioned and we've been chatting since.
The song we recorded in the YouTube clip is Schubert - "Litanei auf das Fest Aller Seelen".
We've been mooting doing something a bit more album-like but currently wondering whether to go traditional, Purcell/Dowland lute song or whether we think outside the box and just do beautiful songs that fit our 'voices'.
I quite like the Schubert so maybe that's what we explore a bit more of, although I know that sometimes changing a piano accompaniment to guitar is tricky.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

The filming was done at my house and our camera-man was trying out his camera for the first time - so all a bit ad hoc, though I think he's done an amazing job! With regards the style. We've talked a bit about what we wanted it to 'feel' like, and we felt that there is so much 'polished' stuff out there, that it might actually be nice to have it feel like almost a jam session. Picking something randomly from the shelf and performing it......does that work for you?
Any other feedback appreciated and hopefully we will have something else for you soon.
Best wishes,

James Laing

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi James. Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Our favourite websites”