Josè Feliciano - Malaguena

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Massimo Piazza

Josè Feliciano - Malaguena

Postby Massimo Piazza » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:01 pm

John Stone

Re: Josè Feliciano - Malaguena

Postby John Stone » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 am

Really enjoyed this. I'd never seen him play as a young man. Thanks!
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Linda

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:11 pm

I have always enjoyed Mr Feliciano's playing. Thanks so much for posting.

linea
linea

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Jose and I both had the same classical guitar teacher here in New York. He was a concert guitarist named Harold Morris. Interestingly Jose and I both had the same problem. We were both self taught, and we both had become proficient players doing everything all wrong because we were self taught.

I went to Harold because even though I was playing at a high level I just sensed that something was wrong. During the course of getting me straightened out he mentioned to me that he was working with Jose to fix the same problems.

I believe Harold had studied with Alirio Diaz at Santiago de Compostela.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Linda

Postby Linda » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 am

Hi Ramon,

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I am still a student, never really achieving a high level of playing (yet..haha)....just loving to play what I can. Maybe no matter the level of expertise, we are forever learning, a wonderful process to be sure. Did you ever get to play with Mr. Feliciano?

linea
linea

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:56 am

Linda wrote:Hi Ramon,

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I am still a student, never really achieving a high level of playing (yet..haha)....just loving to play what I can. Maybe no matter the level of expertise, we are forever learning, a wonderful process to be sure. Did you ever get to play with Mr. Feliciano?

linea

Hi -

No, I met Jose several times, but circumstances were such that I never got to play with him. The interesting thing about Jose is that he is an accomplished classical guitar technique player, but is also a highly accomplished steel and electric player.

Over the years I have faced the identical situation from the other end - as a teacher. I have had numerous students who were self taught, and I have to spend a certain amount of time undoing everything they are doing wrong or not doing at all.

As for your playing, yes, you can and should derive plenty of pleasure and enjoyment playing whatever you can. And don't be afraid to occasionally try something a bit above your level. As Robert Browning said in "Andrea del Sarto" the poem, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp." Or a woman's.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Linda

Postby Linda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:30 am

Hi Ramon,

I will keep your encouraging words in mind and put them into play. It is wonderful to have a good teacher. I was fortunate to have a good teacher for almost six years. I learned so much from him and his lessons have served me well.

I'm sure your students will appreciate all they learn from you.

linea
linea

Return to “Our favourite websites”