Benjamin Zander masterclass: Bach Prelude BWV 998

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Erik Zurcher

Benjamin Zander masterclass: Bach Prelude BWV 998

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

tubeman

Re: Benjamin Zander masterclass: Bach Prelude BWV 998

Postby tubeman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:25 pm

During every masterclass that I've attended, it's rather shocking and dismaying to see/hear the lack of musical knowledge of the student guitarists, be it phrasing, dynamics, colors, or even knowledge about the piece and the composer.
Randy Angella 09 Sp/Br

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:45 pm

tubeman wrote:During every masterclass that I've attended, it's rather shocking and dismaying to see/hear the lack of musical knowledge of the student guitarists, be it phrasing, dynamics, colors, or even knowledge about the piece and the composer.

That is a very condescending statement to make. A masterclass is a session between student and teacher. Most people go to masterclasses to learn, not to be ridiculed for not already being perfect. If they were perfect, there would be no need for the masterclass. Very likely they are extremely nervous in that kind of setting, thereby leading to rather "mechanical" playing.

It's good that we have such a master around here to show everyone the error of their ways! I will be greatly looking forward to the masterclass that you make available to everyone on such topics!

I don't mean to be a jerk to you. But, I just find that sometimes we get carried away in things we say without thinking. Students deserve the time to learn in a healthy and positive environment without someone making statements about someone being no good. With statements like this it is implied that you could do it better! Obviously, proof of this is in the doing, not talking.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Ah, you've got to love Benjamin Zander. Thanks for the link, Erik.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:09 pm

tubeman wrote:During every masterclass that I've attended, it's rather shocking and dismaying to see/hear the lack of musical knowledge of the student guitarists, be it phrasing, dynamics, colors, or even knowledge about the piece and the composer.

The whole point of a masterclass mate is to learn phrasing, dynamics and colours from the maestro - the name's a bit of a giveaway.

I take my hat of to any student who plays in a masterclass in front of a camera/audience, it must be so daunting.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm

Incidentally, if you haven't seen part 2, it's a must-see. It's with a young cellist, but still applicable to guitar or any other instrument.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:08 pm

The tuning issue aside, what parts of this performance demonstrated "a lack of musical knowledge of the student guitarists, be it phrasing, dynamics, colors, or even knowledge about the piece and the composer", in your opinion?

kertsopoulos

Postby kertsopoulos » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks for this video Erik, beautiful experience to admire the master and also the student in the struggle for obtaining the best in expression.All best, Yorgos

omlove

Postby omlove » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:58 am

markodarko wrote:Incidentally, if you haven't seen part 2, it's a must-see. It's with a young cellist, but still applicable to guitar or any other instrument.

Cannot agree more. It's a must-see. The first video made me laugh, but the second video made me cry. So beautiful in the end:

Youtube

kaizengtr

Postby kaizengtr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm ashamed to admit that I wasn't familiar with Benjamin Zander before this but now will look into him, and his life, much deeper. Definitely makes me want to practice....
-- Life is like riding a bicycle; to keep your balance you must keep moving. -Albert Einstein
2013 Randy Reynolds Conservatory

tcee

Postby tcee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am

kaizengtr wrote:Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm ashamed to admit that I wasn't familiar with Benjamin Zander before this but now will look into him, and his life, much deeper. Definitely makes me want to practice....

Then you should definitely watch this:
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/en//id/286

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 am

I have to see the cello part yet, but I saw the guitar part and was absolutely moved abot the warm heart, wisdom, courage and generosity of the master. He made it possible to transmit a very important teaching so that it will stay with the student for life time without hurting or despising him, not to speak of the musical insights he transmitted.

I have immediately shared this video with many of my friends as a positive exempla of a great teacher ... it applys not only to music.
And, my respect to the young man playong in front of a master and an audience and willing to learn from the teacher and the experience.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

tormodg

Postby tormodg » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 am

How wonderful to watch how the student plays so much better under the instruction of Mr Zander. The boy obviously is more relaxed and shows that he knows the piece very well.
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

glassynails

Postby glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 am

He plays ten times better than the guy with flip flops playing BWV 998 in another masterclass.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Return to “Our favourite websites”