Granados

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Michael.N.

Granados

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:38 am

Ever heard a recording of Granados playing the piano?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_IofNT7N0

Courtesy of a piano roll. The kind of thing that this rather entertaining video shows. Fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNaBHVjyJ4
Historicalguitars.

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Granados

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 am

Wow that is really neat! I've never heard a recording of Granados playing the piano. Thanks for sharing this link.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am

I started watching the second video about the Duo-Art system - amazing. BTW, the first roll that the presenter puts in, starting at about the 19-minute mark, is a piece played by Californian Robert Armbruster who was a teenager in 1915 when the recording was made. Is this surname common? The only other time I have encountered it is here on the forum - member Jeffrey Armbruster, also from California. I wonder now if they are related.. But this is completely off-topic ... :bye: Let's see if I can tag him though
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Tagging Mr. Armbruster!

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by guitarrista on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 am

I did not watch the video about the piano, but I did listen to the Granados "recording", and I did a quick search to read how this was produced. To say that this is actually Granados playing is a bit of a stretch, I think. From what I read, the piano he played on recorded the notes as he played by punching holes in the roll, but there was also a recording engineer present who added details to the roll such as dynamic markings which were the engineer's interpretation of electrical signals and not direct input by Granados, and then the rolls were later edited in some ways by other people (not Granados), so that the final product, such as what we heard in the first video, is partly Granados, and partly other people's input/interpretation into how they think that he played or may have played. It is still interesting to have a bit of Granados' own performance, but slightly misleading as presented...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 am

guitarrista wrote:I started watching the second video about the Duo-Art system - amazing. BTW, the first roll that the presenter puts in, starting at about the 19-minute mark, is a piece played by Californian Robert Armbruster who was a teenager in 1915 when the recording was made. Is this surname common? The only other time I have encountered it is here on the forum - member Jeffrey Armbruster, also from California. I wonder now if they are related.. But this is completely off-topic ... :bye: Let's see if I can tag him though

Capture.JPG
Well now that is interesting! I'm not related, as far as I know---but my grandfather's father was a sheriff in Northern California around that time, so who knows. And no, Armbruster is not a common name. I've run into exactly one to whom I'm not related. We were both excited, and we both knew the one instance where our name was mentioned in a film, when Harrison Ford says "Get Armbruster on it" in passing. That's it. So thanks, I'll try to look into this, if it's possible.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
guitarrista wrote:I started watching the second video about the Duo-Art system - amazing. BTW, the first roll that the presenter puts in, starting at about the 19-minute mark, is a piece played by Californian Robert Armbruster who was a teenager in 1915 when the recording was made. Is this surname common? The only other time I have encountered it is here on the forum - member Jeffrey Armbruster, also from California. I wonder now if they are related.. But this is completely off-topic ... :bye: Let's see if I can tag him though

Capture.JPG
Well now that is interesting! I'm not related, as far as I know---but my grandfather's father was a sheriff in Northern California around that time, so who knows. And no, Armbruster is not a common name. I've run into exactly one to whom I'm not related. We were both excited, and we both knew the one instance where our name was mentioned in a film, when Harrison Ford says "Get Armbruster on it" in passing. That's it. So thanks, I'll try to look into this, if it's possible.
Cool :-) Here's why I thought Robert Armbruster was a Californian - a few more seconds after the 19:05 mark that I snapshotted above there is an inset photograph shown, with the caption "Photograph of Robert Armbruster taken by Molly Yeckly during her 1984 visit to his Los Angeles home":
Capture3.JPG
AH! He has a wikipedia page about him:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Armbruster
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:I did not watch the video about the piano, but I did listen to the Granados "recording", and I did a quick search to read how this was produced. To say that this is actually Granados playing is a bit of a stretch, I think. From what I read, the piano he played on recorded the notes as he played by punching holes in the roll, but there was also a recording engineer present who added details to the roll such as dynamic markings which were the engineer's interpretation of electrical signals and not direct input by Granados, and then the rolls were later edited in some ways by other people (not Granados), so that the final product, such as what we heard in the first video, is partly Granados, and partly other people's input/interpretation into how they think that he played or may have played. It is still interesting to have a bit of Granados' own performance, but slightly misleading as presented...
Not unlike all the electronic effects and thousands of edits done in modern recordings. :D
Historicalguitars.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Michael.N. wrote:...Not unlike all the electronic effects and thousands of edits done in modern recordings. :D
Exactly! Clearly, the Duo-Art system was ahead of its time. :wink:

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Cool :-) Here's why I thought Robert Armbruster was a Californian - a few more seconds after the 19:05 mark that I snapshotted above there is an inset photograph shown, with the caption "Photograph of Robert Armbruster taken by Molly Yeckly during her 1984 visit to his Los Angeles home":

No family resemblance. Still, it's possible that his dad and my grandad's dad were part of the same clan that came over from Germany at that time. From what I understand, Armbruster isn't all that common in Germany either.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Our favourite websites”