The Best Duo for 19th-C Guitar Repertoire

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
RobMacKillop

The Best Duo for 19th-C Guitar Repertoire

Postby RobMacKillop » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm

If you haven't heard them already, enjoy this video. They play on original 19th-C guitars, with gut and silk strings, no nails, play standing with straps, and can play beautifully when needed, and brilliantly when needed, sometimes both at the same time :-)

Youtube

Gary Macleod

Re: The Best Duo for 19th-C Guitar Repertoire

Postby Gary Macleod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:35 pm

One of the best pieces Sor wrote, this is really good. I've also heard the Assads playing it live but gotta put the Bream and Williams recording as my favourite.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Very nice Rob, and the guitars are very cool. This was fun to watch.

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:47 am

That was delightful. Thanks.

I'm a big fan of these two, though they don't upload enough for my tastes. :)

Youtube
-mitch

powderedtoastman

Postby powderedtoastman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:34 am

Both of those are fantastic.
I wouldn't mind starting a duo like this but I don't think I will find somebody else locally to play with who shares my enthusiasm for the romantic guitar. Seems like most of the players I've met are leaning more on the modern side.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:47 am

Looks like we have to play standing up these days! I can't remember seeing any 19thC method book advocating it, or any illustrations, save for the one on the cover of Thomas Heck's book on Giuliani. But why not? If it helps, then I'm all for it.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Great duo.
I recently discovered this other old one I liked very much. I am not sure on the authenticity, but the musical result is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMU6umL2UD0

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Ha, they're great, and also standing. Did I miss the meeting where it was decided that all 19thC guitar players must play standing? These two appear to have a small button behind the heel, pulling the guitar snug to their body. I once had a classical with a strap attached to the head (there was a strap button at the base of the instrument) which I didn't like at all. But the button at the heel looks more workable.

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Standing seems to require, according to these videos, at least a bit of "dancing" while you play. It's quite a contrast to the concert guitarists who will sit down and only move their hands for an hour. But these videos are great to watch and these period instruments sound really good when played as duo. It's a bit similar "magic" as good lute duos have.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Most early 19 th century guitars had a button at the end graft position. The Panormo sometimes had one near the heel position as well but of course with a strap you can play either standing or seated. I've tried a strap but seated, didn't really get on with it. Now I should try strap but standing. I have a feeling that it may suit me as I have a long standing (oops) back problem. I think being able to move could be advantageous.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:18 pm

What's the "graft" position?

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

At the very bottom of the guitar, the usual place where buttons are placed.
Courtesy of Arthur Robb. A Panormo with the two buttons on the back of the guitar. I guess they may have been for a strap or for a ribbon fixed between the two buttons. Those two buttons on the back aren't uncommon on baroque guitars, especially late French. They are not common on French romantic guitars, so at some point they seem to have fallen out of favour. An awful lot of Panormos seem to have them though. I don't know why that is the case. It may have been clothing fashion or Panormo was just carrying on a tradition.

http://www.art-robb.co.uk/panpix/29/03.jpg
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Interesting. There are some old paintings of lutes with a tight thin rope over the bowl. The player would wrap the rope over a waistcoat button.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, that's one theory. The other being that the two buttons on the back of the guitar were installed so that the guitar could be laid on a table. Nothing to prevent them having a dual purpose though. It's even possible that some used the ribbon on the waistcoat button and also used a guitar strap. Just like many modern players there must have been folk trying all manner of things, as evidenced by Aguado and his tripod, Sor and his table. I've come across an old engraving of the guitar positioned on a chaise lounge with the player sat further to the neck end of the guitar.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Sadly, our physical evolution has not taken into account the guitar. The only human instrument is the voice. It's cheap and portable, and no one asks if you play rest strokes. I wish I could sing...

Return to “Our favourite websites”