[Youtube] Sabicas, 1963: Plays Gran Jota Di Concierto by Tarrega

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
glassynails

[Youtube] Sabicas, 1963: Plays Gran Jota Di Concierto by Tarrega

Postby glassynails » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am

Search YouTube for "Sabicas, 1963: Gran Jota Di Concierto"
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: [Youtube] Sabicas, 1963: Plays Gran Jota Di Concierto by Tarrega

Postby Ramon Amira » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I posted this same video a few years ago. Besides being enjoyable to listen to, it very effectively debunks the ridiculous notion you constantly hear that classical guitar technique and flamenco guitar technique are two different things.

Does anyone suppose that Sabicas secretly went into hiding for a few years to study classical guitar technique in order to play this. Or that Paco did the same so that he could play the Aranjuez.

There is no difference, period. It is true that there are generally some differences in the way this technique is utilized - more attention to tone, phrasing, and other nuances of playing in classical, but these are obviously divorced from the actual technique itself, and are merely adaptations of the same technique for different purposes.

And there are some additional techniques that are used in flamenco that are not generally used in classical, but again the basic technique remains identical - apoyando, tirando, arpeggios, tremolo (3 vs 4 - same execution) runs, scales, position play, and all left hand techniques - barre, slurs, pivot and guide fingers, etc.

I get many students who are classical guitarists who want to learn flamenco, and all I ever have to teach them - with respect to technique - is those techniques that are peculiar to flamenco. As classical guitarists they already have all the technique necessary to play flamenco.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Return to “Our favourite websites”