Musica Temprana: Baroque music from South America

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Erik Zurcher

Musica Temprana: Baroque music from South America

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 am

Did you know that Baroque music was composed and played in South America during the 15th and 16th century? Musica Temprana play Baroque music from Peru.

Youtube

Youtube
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

pogmoor

Re: Musica Temprana: Baroque music from South America

Postby pogmoor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:41 pm

I blame the Spanish! The Spanish occupation of South America lasted almost three centuries from the sixteenth century onwards. The Spanish took with them European habits in architecture and the arts. Many Spanish composers were employed in South American cities, often in cathedrals. Some of Santiago de Murcia's music was re-discovered in Mexico. It's not certain that de Murcia went to Mexico, more likely manuscripts of his music were carried to Mexico as part of the 'supplies' brought from Spain. I'm not clear about the extent to which local musicians adopted European musical ideas but I believe this did happen, especially in religious communities.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Did you know that Baroque music was composed and played in South America during the 15th and 16th century? ..

Yes, I knew that there was South American Baroque music, but I'd suggest that it was more like 17th to 18th century (15-16th century is more Renaissance era, is it not?).

There is a group called Ensemble Caprice that recorded a nice album of mostly Latin-American Baroque music -- in fact, I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert performing the music, and it was quite a delight!

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:37 pm

There was, for example, a baroque composer in Mexico named Juan Gutierrez de Padilla. The Harp Consort made a very interesting recording of his music named "Missa Mexicana". The Harp Consort also has also recorded Lucas Ruiz de Ribayaz's "Luz y norte", which is one of my all-time favourite CDs. Then there's a Boston Camerata recording named "Nueva España" that contains a wider range of Latin American baroque music, if I remember correctly.

Return to “Our favourite websites”