Pogorelich plays Bach

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Pogorelich plays Bach

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:55 am

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Pogorelich plays Bach

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks Denian, that made my day!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:19 pm

His left hand technique is flawless. So fluent and effortless. I agree with you Denian - just astounding.

brooks

Post by brooks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:52 pm

And the flesh was made spirit...
Sometimes when I hear Bach so perfectly and sublimely played I don't know why I even bother trying to do him justice on the guitar. Lately I've been struggling with those impossible ties in the 997 fugue, tying my LH into pretzel shapes to try (it's frequently literally impossible) to hold each note for as close to its correct value as i can, and trying to articulate each voice as clearly as the various string changes and changes from closed to open strings within one voice allow. And to go from the mixed results of all this effort to this magnificent Bach-worthy performance is a bit of a downer. But I still thank you very much for introducing me to this wonderful musician and performance.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Thanks Denian, that made my day!
:D

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the link, worth every minute of it. He uses a more curved finger position than most pianists, interesting (I am not suggesting that it contributes necessarily to his sublime playing).

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:31 am

Pogorelich was one of the greats. He combined jaw-dropping technique with fascinating musical insights, Sadly, after his wife died a horrible death in 1996 from liver cancer, then his father died, Pogorelich went into a psychological tailspin. He eventually emerged from it, but his playing suffered. His technique was no longer as secure, and he favored glacial tempos, bizarre voicings, and crude dynamics. That video is a powerful and sad reminder of what was. I'm glad I saw him twice in his prime--he played either the 2nd or 3rd English Suite at one of the concerts, then I saw him in 2005--not too good. Fortunately, he left behind a collection of fantastic recordings, especially that Bach and Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit."
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Well, he is certainly one of the all-time greats. Here he is playing Chopin Prelude in Dminor Op28N24. I have heard this by countless pianists, including many of the greats, but nobody brings this music to life the way he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5OkSfbsQfI

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Return to “Our favourite websites”