[Youtube] To everyone thinks Sevilla has to be played so fast

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
glassynails

[Youtube] To everyone thinks Sevilla has to be played so fast

Post by glassynails » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:48 am

I noticed that a few piano players play Sevilla a little slower than most guitarists who always try to hammer it out in 430 minutes. This one is close to Segovia's "slow" version that he plays in his late 80's at the White House. See you don't have to play everything like you're late for dinner.

Youtube

Here's Segovia's "slow" version

Youtube
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

David Norton

Re: [Youtube] To everyone thinks Sevilla has to be played so fast

Post by David Norton » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Very interesting comparison, the fact the two versions are in the same key makes the comparison easier. Gomez-Ruiz takes the c-minor section a good deal slower, but the piano's sustain pedal outdoes the guitar's sustain every time.

Two noteworthy aspects to Segovia's performance, in comparison to his earlier/faster recordings of "Sevilla":
(1) to quote Phillip de Fremery in "Segovia:Transcripciones" (Berben Editions), where he discusses several aspects of Segovia's playing:
...the second among these, which literally exploded into the listener's ears during Segovia's final tours (and which was recorded during his White House concert) is the two opening triplet figures in "Sevilla". It had long been the custom, owing partly to the speed involved, to employ ligados (slurs) in the playing of these passages. Yet he sat down, in the eighth decade of life, and pumped them out entirely articulated in tirando. It was the aural equivalent of watching tracer bullets. It was an electrifying (and in that particular situation revolutionary) use of the technique. Even more than that, it was perfect.
(2) In the c-minor section, Segovia uses a different transcription than the Llobet version he had recorded so many years previously. This setting is the more "authentic" approach, closer to the piano score, and not as freely-formed as what Llobet had presented.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Well the score says Allegro Moderator, and if you listen to Sevillianas dances on YouTube they are also pretty moderate so I agree, no need to shred it like a rock guitarist on this one

franks59

Post by franks59 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Well I think the fact that Segovia is playing it slower has more to do with his age rather than musical senesibility.
Here he is a little younger playing it at the same speed as every other guitarist.

Youtube

Frank

Return to “Our favourite websites”