Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm

I posted this before under a different thread, but this deserves a thread of its own. A phenomenal performance by a virtuoso. Every instrument is difficult, but this one looks brutal, especially for what he's playing. It's a Bayan, a highly complex accordion.

This is as close to a pipe organ - the instrument it was written for - as a hand instrument can get. And not only is it a virtuoso performance technically, he also plays it beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDFFUIGoBUc

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Brilliant Ramon, thanks for sharing.

Though the video jumping got very distracting and detracted. Just close your eyes.

Listening to this music was my first intro to Bach many years ago on organ. Everything else since seems sub genius in comparison.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Truly amazing. However, are you aware that he is playing a digital accordion?
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm
I posted this before under a different thread, but this deserves a thread of its own. A phenomenal performance by a virtuoso. Every instrument is difficult, but this one looks brutal, especially for what he's playing. It's a Bayan, a highly complex accordion.

This is as close to a pipe organ - the instrument it was written for - as a hand instrument can get. And not only is it a virtuoso performance technically, he also plays it beautifully.

Ramon
This gives me a new-found enjoyment of the accordion. I never really thought of the accordion as the closest thing to a pipe-organ you can get without a huge organ. I always thought of the accordion as a polka instrument! I knew it can be a difficult instrument, as my uncle used to play one.

Very nice. Thank you!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Ramon
This gives me a new-found enjoyment of the accordion. I never really thought of the accordion as the closest thing to a pipe-organ you can get without a huge organ. I always thought of the accordion as a polka instrument! I knew it can be a difficult instrument, as my uncle used to play one.

Very nice. Thank you!

Martin
Until I came across this I also thought of the accordion as something you play Lawrence Welk polkas on. I never dreamed that anyone could play a Bach fugue on an accordion. And not just some simplified and dummied up arrangement, but the real thing.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm
No, I didn't even know that there was such a thing. What is the significance of that. Does that mean that all those various voices are "artificial," like a digital piano. And could a non-digital accordion produce all those organ voices or not? But it still has bellows, so what does it all mean. And it is a Bayan, a non-traditional accordion. Are all Bayans digital. And is it easier to play a non-digital Bayan if there is such a thing? This is most interesting.

Ramon

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 pm

"Digital" in the sense like a "Digital exam"? I don't think it has Lithium Ion batteries.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:58 pm
No, I didn't even know that there was such a thing. What is the significance of that. Does that mean that all those various voices are "artificial," like a digital piano....
I work with both air-blown, and digital accordion players, and that one looks like a conventional air driven instrument to me. They have several voices built in, operated by the switches to the right of the buttons. Speaking of which it seems to be more of a button-accordion than a standard e.g. piano accordion, so is presumably related to the bandoneon as used by Piazzolla.
The main difference between digital and non-digital is that the former is basically a synthesiser controlled by both by keys/buttons and by some means by the movement of the two halves and the bellows action - whether the bellows actually blow air I've never thought to ask. The digital type makes no sound itself and is normally easier physically to play. The only digital ones I've seen have been made by Roland.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am

If you believe the 'net Sergei Teleshev plays a Bayan (Russian accordian).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayan_(accordion)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm

[quote="Stephen Kenyon" it seems to be more of a button-accordion than a standard e.g. piano accordion, so is presumably related to the bandoneon as used by Piazzolla.[/quote]

I explained in my original post, and Simonm below reiterates, that it is a Bayan, an accordion apparently developed in Russia.

Ramon

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm
[quote="Stephen Kenyon" it seems to be more of a button-accordion than a standard e.g. piano accordion, so is presumably related to the bandoneon as used by Piazzolla.
I explained in my original post, and Simonm below reiterates, that it is a Bayan, an accordion apparently developed in Russia.

Ramon
[/quote]

Yes indeed, all are part of the happy family of free-reed aerophones.
Something went wrong in the quoting....
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

That was amazing. That accordion has such a range and those basses are sublime.

Here's a guitar duet version that is pretty darn nice. One player has a 7-string and can play the lower range better.

https://youtu.be/ZQeVYnPAoPw

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm

The next time someone complains about how hard it is to play classical guitar, just send them to the video below. As I said originally, every instrument is difficult, but boy, I would hate to have to tackle that monster.

Check this player out. It's unbelievable. I can't stop watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzRPBNYlfBw

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:58 pm
No, I didn't even know that there was such a thing. What is the significance of that. Does that mean that all those various voices are "artificial," like a digital piano. And could a non-digital accordion produce all those organ voices or not? But it still has bellows, so what does it all mean. And it is a Bayan, a non-traditional accordion. Are all Bayans digital. And is it easier to play a non-digital Bayan if there is such a thing? This is most interesting.

Ramon
The following video should answer some of your questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxPvomYT_k
  1. Yes, the voices are synthesized. I was wondering how a conventional accordion could have so many stops.
  2. Yes, apparently the digital accordion can produce all of those voices.
  3. I have no idea what the bellow are for.
  4. It is a Roland FR-8X Digital V-Accordion, not a Bayan.
  5. I know nothing about playing the accordion.
  6. I still think that Teleshev is a very serious virtuoso musician.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Very interesting. However, he is clearly not playing the same instrument in the Tocatta and Fugue. This new video shows the Roland name right on it, and of course we're told that on the video notes. But in the Toccata video there is some other name which I can't make out, but it's not Roland, and it's a different instrument.

Also the Toccata notes state that it is a Bayan. And it looks very much like he's playing a conventional accordion. You said you have no idea what the bellows are for. Watching him play it seems very clear that he is using the bellows in the usual way for a conventional accordion.

Ramon

Return to “Our favourite websites”