Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Rognvald

Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

Post by Rognvald » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 am

I found this wonderful performance of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" played by Brin Addison on a Harp Guitar. What do you think? Playing again . . . Rognvald https://youtu.be/V_YFRZZpK6g
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

soltirefa

Re: Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

Post by soltirefa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 am

Sounds like crap to me.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:34 am

soltirefa wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 am
Sounds like crap to me.
Well, Soltirefa,
We know where you stand. Perhaps you can provide a recording of someone who does not " sound like crap." Even better, perhaps you could play something since I see from a former discussion you have a multi-string guitar. This would be wonderful and I'm certain many of us on the Forum could benefit from your experience, taste and sensitivity to this classic piece by Beethoven. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting this enlightenment. Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. If the Sonata is not in your repertoire, anything of your choice would certainly be appreciated.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 am

I didn't get very far with it, so who knows? What I heard was awful. It was BIG, I'll give you that.

Maybe this sort of thing just lies outside my sphere of appreciation. And I didn't even know I had a sphere of appreciation until just now.

People's taste vary and that's entirely legitimate.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm

To the above respondents, if you were enrolled in a University Music Appreciation Course or one in Instrumental Performance and used the words "crap" and "awful," without corroboration/explanation, you'd have very dim prospects for passing the course. Well, this is not a university classroom but many on this Forum are well educated as well as being practiced musicians and emotional terms as these belong in a Hard Rock or Country Western Music Forum . . . hardly a CG Forum ie; "Hey Man . . . that's crap!" There is another possibility, however, and that is that Soltirefa and Jeff Armbruster are playing at such an advanced level of muscianship that it is difficult for them to appreciate others who perform below their galactic level and we certainly must consider this a possibility. So, my challenge to both of you is why not showcase your musical talents to the members of this Forum in a musical performance so we all can experience the difference between the sublime and a "crap/awful" performance and, if that is not possible, why not use the language of educated people to corroborate your shallow statements so as not to insult those on this Forum who expect more from a contributor? This certainly seems reasonable and would greatly benefit the members of this Forum. Playing again . . . Rognvald

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

It's really challenging to take things that are so well known in one instrument and make it work on another, if only because of cognitive biases. For Chris Thile to play Bach on a mandolin and for people that know Bach to like it is a feat in and of itself. In this respect, in some way normalizing, he did a nice job. I only listened once, but did he alter the score? For instance, I thought that I didn't hear the arpeggio in the beginning.
物の哀れ

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Rognvald...you asked for opinions. Please don't start insulting people when you don't like what you hear.

Did you read my bit about how peoples' tastes vary?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 pm
Rognvald...you asked for opinions. Please don't start insulting people when you don't like what you hear.

Did you read my bit about how peoples' tastes vary?

Hi, Jeff,
I have no problem with your negative opinion of the performance but among educated people dealing with an esoteric topic, terms like "awful" ring hollow and tell the reader nothing about why you felt this way. You could say his technique was flawed, he didn't develop the dynamic potential of section "A", his tempo was inconsistent, the piece dragged unnecessarily, he failed to use rubato, his general musicianship was lacking, etc., etc., and the reader would understand why you thought it was awful. This was the type of feedback I thought would be interesting to the readers of this Forum and would serve as a teaching moment to those who are working on their craft. No offense intended. Perhaps I expected too much. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I switched off after a few seconds. No idea how it comes across to anyone else but it sounded terribly processed, the mixer controls must have been set at max! Sorry but I just can't take it seriously. I just know I'm not hearing what the guitarist is hearing, not even close.
Historicalguitars.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Rognvald, I have no issue with the artist’s performance or the beautiful classic piece he is interpreting. I could certainly not do better. And of course everyone has their own tastes, and your question was valid and deserves a more mature response, or none at all.

Having said that, this piece IMHO May not be best represented on this instrument. Or maybe the instrument is not well suited for this piece. If you have to add that many strings (which I think detracts from the sonority of the guitar) find a quartet.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm
To the above respondents, if you were enrolled in a University Music Appreciation Course or one in Instrumental Performance and used the words "crap" and "awful," without corroboration/explanation, you'd have very dim prospects for passing the course. Well, this is not a university classroom but many on this Forum are well educated as well as being practiced musicians and emotional terms as these belong in a Hard Rock or Country Western Music Forum . . . hardly a CG Forum ie; "Hey Man . . . that's crap!" There is another possibility, however, and that is that Soltirefa and Jeff Armbruster are playing at such an advanced level of muscianship that it is difficult for them to appreciate others who perform below their galactic level and we certainly must consider this a possibility. So, my challenge to both of you is why not showcase your musical talents to the members of this Forum in a musical performance so we all can experience the difference between the sublime and a "crap/awful" performance and, if that is not possible, why not use the language of educated people to corroborate your shallow statements so as not to insult those on this Forum who expect more from a contributor? This certainly seems reasonable and would greatly benefit the members of this Forum. Playing again . . . Rognvald
You’re absolutely right. This forum is not a university music appreciation class. If a student in a music appreciation class referred to a piece as ‘awful’, the professor would most definitely not sarcastically berate his/her students’ playing ability and then demand a performance unless they provide a sophisticated opinion. That professor wouldn’t be around very long as no student in their right mind would take a course with them.
When someone responds with an answer that you feel is too vague, a simple “please elaborate” will normally suffice.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm

"You’re absolutely right. This forum is not a university music appreciation class. If a student in a music appreciation class referred to a piece as ‘awful’, the professor would most definitely not sarcastically berate his/her students’ playing ability and then demand a performance unless they provide a sophisticated opinion. That professor wouldn’t be around very long as no student in their right mind would take a course with them.
When someone responds with an answer that you feel is too vague, a simple “please elaborate” will normally suffice." MaritimeGuitarist

Yes, MT, you are certainly correct and it is why our standards of education in the USA have fallen so precipitously in the last thirty years. Accountability??? Educated response???? Respect for an academic agenda??? How dare a professor!!!! Playing again . . . Rognvald

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Rognvald wrote:To the above respondents, if you were enrolled in a University Music Appreciation Course or one in Instrumental Performance and used the words "crap" and "awful," without corroboration/explanation, you'd have very dim prospects for passing the course.
Yet you did not offer any corroboration or explanation of your own comment that the performance is "wonderful." You merely stated it and asked what we thought.

I also found the performance somewhat less than satisfying though I persevered to the end. Disregarding interpretation, quality of sound etc., just the many hiatus moments (whilst preparing a new right hand position?) killed it for me.
Rognvald wrote:... many on this Forum are well educated as well as being practiced musicians and emotional terms as these belong in a Hard Rock or Country Western Music Forum . . . hardly a CG Forum
Are you suggesting that rock and country players cannot be "well educated" or "practiced musicians"? Surely not?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 pm

I switched off after a few seconds. No idea how it comes across to anyone else but it sounded terribly processed, the mixer controls must have been set at max! Sorry but I just can't take it seriously. I just know I'm not hearing what the guitarist is hearing, not even close.
this piece IMHO May not be best represented on this instrument. Or maybe the instrument is not well suited for this piece. If you have to add that many strings (which I think detracts from the sonority of the guitar) find a quartet.
also found the performance somewhat less than satisfying though I persevered to the end. Disregarding interpretation, quality of sound etc., just the many hiatus moments (whilst preparing a new right hand position?) killed it for me.
Translation: It sounds like crap.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:01 pm

"Are you suggesting that rock and country players cannot be "well educated" or "practiced musicians"? Surely not?" Mark Clifton-Gautier

Oh, God, Mark,
Your remarks are the classic example of what philosophy calls a "Red Herring." If you don't know what that means here's the definition:
"Description: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument." Logically Fallacious

Return to “Our favourite websites”