Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 am

I had to stop halfway through...because I did get a little excited. I thiught here is a piece that I can teach my daughter, if I can find a suitable score for six string guitar. I will have to check delcamp scores. As far as the performance goes, I really liked it because the low bass notes reminded me of the low keys on my Dad's concert grand, and I liked the sustain, which I thought suited the piece very well. I mean it was a piano piece to begin with wasn't it? I can only imagine how those sonorous low notes actually feel when you are holding the instrument against your chest. You'd definitely feel it in your heart.

David Gutowski

Re: Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 am

I have to get one of those guitars...my grandkids would go crazy...they might even watch me play it! Thanks for posting...it does sound a little funny with the base not really blending with the six string...but I wouldn't call the performance what some others called it...think how the performer would feel if he read such a negative, short review. He is, after all, a fellow guitarist.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with my oldest grandson, who graduated from college a few years ago and is now working in California. We were talking about why his girlfriend left him and returned to her old boyfriend, who is having difficulties with substance abuse and employment and he was feeling a little low. So I mentioned to him he should join a music group and maybe he could find the love of his life. He said: "Why"?

I proceeded to go on a long explanation of how sensitive and caring musicians generally are and it would be a good place to get to know and date a sensitive, loving women that hopefully he would find happiness with and live a blissful, happy married life. He responded with an amazing answer that I would never have expected. Now remember, this is from a young man, college educated, very good looking, tall and in excellent shape...and probably a little broken hearted because his girlfriend moved on and, in my judgment in need of someone.

He said he could never date a musician because there're all liberals. I just looked at him in amazement. And I thought to myself (besides probably why he lost his girlfriend) how can he judge all musicians as liberals. He hasn't even joined a music group or met one of the members and he's already judged them because of their political philosophy and how he could never contemplate getting to know a liberal musician. How can a college graduate, that is well employed and intelligent, make such a determination on his future happiness.

After a long moment of silence, I reminded him that I was a musician and played cg and he should check out a music club anyway. But he was not interested and I tried to tell him opposites attract and he would be better off with a sensitive female musician. I wished him luck and we left the restaurant. On the way home he tried to justify his position by reminding me Einstein found a women that was his equal. I told him about the way Einstein treated his wife and she was not as smart as he was and he gave her direction to never bother him when he was in his study etc. and didn't think they were so happily married...but his mind was made up. I think I also reminded him what happens to people who spend too much time looking for miss right-miss perfect.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Return to “Our favourite websites”