[Youtube] Verdery talks to Parkening about Segovia!

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
glassynails

[Youtube] Verdery talks to Parkening about Segovia!

Post by glassynails » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:40 am

"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Justfun

Re: [Youtube] Verdery talks to Parkening about Segovia!

Post by Justfun » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:49 pm

a must see video.

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

mc1

Post by mc1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 pm

you know, hearing parkening talk about segovia didn't endear me to segovia as a teacher. he just seems too overbearing, too concerned with his fingerings, and not very open. christopher, on the other hand, seems like he would be a good teacher.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Saw this video.
All of Verdery's interviews are worth taking a look at.
The ones where there's actual interaction between the main speaker and Verdery are much better.
One of my favorites is the one with David Russell.

I actually met Verdery two weeks ago, in person.
We spoke 2-3 times throughout that weekend.
He also played a good concert at that event, and did a workshop.
We played (as a guitar ensemble) a piece he wrote on the airplane the previous day.
It was a guitar festival at a local community college.
Really enjoyed it.
Going to do a write-up on this weekend festival, in a little while, on my guitar log.

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for posting this. Listening to Parkening talk reminded me of my encounter with him. As I wrote in another thread, I was one of a few hard-core CGers who hung on backstage after a performance (this was back in the mid-1970s), and got to talk informally with Parkening. Here was one of the world's greatest virtuosi, yet there wasn't a trace of arrogance or superiority about him. He was the most down-home, easy-going person you could imagine. What further struck me was that even though we were rank amateurs (which was obvious to him), he spoke to us as equals; we were all "guitarists."

Regarding Parkening's remarks on Segovia, I have to agree with most of it. I would say it's objectively impossible to say with certainty that Segovia was the greatest classical guitarist ever, but his talent, dedication, and ambition are undeniable. Especially when it comes to Segovia's four goals, I am always amazed. Just achieving one of those goals would be a huge task for an ordinary person, yet he achieved all of them. In that sense, I've always regarded Segovia as a CG "Superman."

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

woodenhand, so true about parkening "there wasn't a trace of arrogance or superiority about him. He was the most down-home, easy-going person you could imagine" thank you for sharing.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:25 pm

I've had the luck to meet some very fine musicians (and other artists). The greater the artist, the more kind, helpful and humble they've seemed to be. Parkening embodies that. Thanks for posting this video!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Our favourite websites”