traduction

auurk

traduction

Post by auurk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello,

We are translating our guitar method (horizon de la guitare part 1 & 2 - Armand Coeck, Karel Vercruysse, ...). Our translator is searching for the French word for what we call "greep" in Dutch. "Greep" means the specific fingering for a certain chrord, for example the fingering for an A chord, the fingering for a Em chord, etc. The translator speaks of 'position', but that seems confusing to me, since position is a specific term, that you use in the context of 'premiere position, cinquième position, ...'.

Can the 'francophone' people on this forum help me out?

Many thanks,
Bert

Azalais

Re: traduction

Post by Azalais » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Could you provide a sentence using the word in its grammatical context... (just leave greep in the correct place in the sentence.).

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Hello Bert,
My French is not very adequate, but I would translate 'greep' with 'coup de main'. The Dutch word 'greep' is like 'grip, grasp or grab' in English. Even my English is inadequate: does one grip, grasp or grab a chord?
Maybe Azalais knows how to translate this in French.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:12 pm

I wonder whether it corresponds to the English "chord shape"? If so, the French does seem to be "position d'accord". Here's a quote from the French Wikipedia: "Posé: Un doigt appuie sur la touche du manche pour bloquer la corde (généralement contre une frette) et y reste jusqu'au prochain changement de position. En général, plusieurs doigts sont posés simultanément, afin de réaliser une position d'accord, indépendamment de la façon dont il sera joué par la main droite." And from another French site "Si je joue une position d'accord de C avec le capo sur la 7° case, c'est un accord de G qui sonnera." If you google on "position d'accord" you'll find more examples.

Of course that's assuming that the Dutch word means chord shape in the first place! :wink:

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Very good, Geoff! Une position d'accord seems an excellent translation. I have never heard of 'chord shape', but as concept, that's exacly what 'greep' means.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

auurk

Post by auurk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks for the great help!

"Greep" indeed means "chord shape". So 'position d'accord' means 'the way you place your left hand fingers on the fretboard in order to form a certain chord', and you use 'position' in the context of 'cinquième position'.

I'll let you guys know when the Frensh version of our method is ready. Mayby some of you are guitar teachers and could use it or parts of it with your pupils? I send you guys a free copy if you like, in return for the translation help.

Bonsoir,
Bert

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm not a teacher, Bert, just happy to have been of help!

Best wishes

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

woodibou

Post by woodibou » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:43 pm

En fait pour nous le terme accord sous entend la position utilisée. Nous parlons simplement de doigté pour désigner la position des doigts à la main gauche.
Lorsque l'on parle du dessin qui représente l'accord on parle de grille d'accord.

woodibou

Post by woodibou » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:47 pm

auurk wrote: I'll let you guys know when the Frensh version of our method is ready. Mayby some of you are guitar teachers and could use it or parts of it with your pupils? I send you guys a free copy if you like, in return for the translation help.
I'm a french speaking guitar teatcher... I'll be interest to read your methos if you want.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 pm

woodibou wrote:En fait pour nous le terme accord sous entend la position utilisée. Nous parlons simplement de doigté pour désigner la position des doigts à la main gauche.
Lorsque l'on parle du dessin qui représente l'accord on parle de grille d'accord.
I'm picking up some useful vocabulary here! :) - I would say that in English too we can use "chord" to refer vaguely to the position of the hand, as in "hold down a C chord" but we might use "chord shape" when thinking more about the actual shape of the hand than the sound produced, as in "playing the E Major Chord Shape on the 1st fret with a barré will give us F major". "Doigté" would usually be translated as "fingering" when you're specifying which particular fingers to use for each note (you could mark fingering on a score without necessarily thinking in terms of shape), and "grille d'accord", I presume, would correspond to our "chord diagram", the printed representation using a small grid.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

jluc

Post by jluc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:54 am

la j'aurais bien besoin d'un traducteur
:lol: jluc

Return to “Français”