Best use of Sagreras series?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
jdart3000

Best use of Sagreras series?

Postby jdart3000 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello All -

I am on the 2nd volume of the Sagreras books that I downloaded from this site. I wonder if I am making the best use of these excellent studies? How long would a "typical" student spend on each study, for example? What else should I be looking to accomplish beyond becoming comfortable with each new technique presented? By the way, I believe a number of the pieces are just beautiful musically, beyond their use as "mere" studies. I have studied with university level professors for about 9 years, but am now continuing to study on my own.

Thank you in advance,
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Kent

Re: Best use of Sagreras series?

Postby Kent » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 pm

John,
Good that your are including the Sagreras Series in your studies. They are exceptional for self study, and are considered the finest series available to students.
Advance at the rate that is comfortable to you, but of course push yourself a little too!.
I have the bound version of the series 4-6, and have played a few studies everyday for 20 years. So one answer from me is that you could work on these studies for the rest of your life!
Kent

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Kent wrote:John,
Good that your are including the Sagreras Series in your studies. They are exceptional for self study, and are considered the finest series available to students.
Advance at the rate that is comfortable to you, but of course push yourself a little too!.
I have the bound version of the series 4-6, and have played a few studies everyday for 20 years. So one answer from me is that you could work on these studies for the rest of your life!
Kent

+1

I echo this wholeheartedly. What I love about the Sagreras series is that, not only does he provide a student with a good technical grounding, but his exercises are really musical, in most cases beautiful, and a lot of fun to play! There is nothing worse than having to trudge through sterile studies; and there is simply no need to do so.

There is nothing wrong with working on other methods at the same time (Shearer, Noad, etc.); it all is of benefit. However, some would have you forego Sagreras altogether. My advice: don't listen to them. Life just would not be as interesting! :D
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:05 am

Sorry--duplicate.

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Sagreras is excellent, beautiful stuff, all the more so if you want to play Spanish and Latin repertoire or even the folk forms such as Choros from Brazil; the Sagreras pieces have wonderful, idiomatic rhythmic writing.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Elías López Cruz

Postby Elías López Cruz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Almost everyone of us guitar lovers started or studied at some time the Sagreras Books, they are excellent!
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

jdart3000

Postby jdart3000 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement. I continue to enjoy working through these beautiful pieces.
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

kmurdick

Postby kmurdick » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I really like the Sagreras lessons and have even re-written many of them in extended form for my students. There's a sample below. However, I don't think these books should be used as a method book to worked through. Pick and choose what you like; it's a great set of repertoire books.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24pwaerldj6h0 ... n.pdf?dl=0

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:31 am

How quaint. I'd never imagined that Julio Sagreras's lessons needed to be improved upon/expanded--by a gringo, no less. Just kidding; just kidding. :lol:

I totally disagree with the notion that Sagreras cannot be used as an effective method. Apart from the wonderful repertoire that he provided he also includes plenty of instructional material. Shearer, on the other hand, gives you a lot of words and no music (still valuable to use as well, however; but to gain theoretical knowledge and a good road map).

Stick with Sagreras. He's the real deal.

Kent

Postby Kent » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:16 am

Polifemo de Oro wrote:How quaint. I'd never imagined that Julio Sagreras's lessons needed to be improved upon/expanded--by a gringo, no less. Just kidding; just kidding. :lol:

I totally disagree with the notion that Sagreras cannot be used as an effective method. Apart from the wonderful repertoire that he provided he also includes plenty of instructional material. Shearer, on the other hand, gives you a lot of words and no music (still valuable to use as well, however; but to gain theoretical knowledge and a good road map).

Stick with Sagreras. He's the real deal.

Spoken with great truth, backed with the facts that make it real. Great post Poli.

ruichi

Postby ruichi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm using Sagreras books now and I'm improving faster than ever :) The musicality of the exercises helps you understanding how good you are playing, and that seems to have a lot of importance on the amount of time one wants to dedicate to it.
I keep following the Parkening method at the same time, especially the repertoire he gives there.
It seems a good combination for me, and my teacher approves.
2013 António Pinto Carvalho, APC 8C.
2015 Paco Castillo, 205 Cedar.

hildegardofbingen

Postby hildegardofbingen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:48 pm

I also discovered these wonderful books on this site. The sheer musicality of these short and elegant pieces encourages the player into wanting to pick up the guitar and play them. Coupled with their teaching value, how wonderful is that!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”