Left hand stretching exercise

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
David_Norton

Left hand stretching exercise

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Here's a movable left-hand stretching exercise I came up with. Major scale, 1 1/2 octaves, with the third as a treble pedal point. Fully movable fret to fret. Probably something like this already exists, but I don't recall ever seeing it before.
LH Stretching.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

riffmeister

Re: Left hand stretching exercise

Post by riffmeister » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:49 pm

fretboard yoga! :)

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Well done! I would recommend starting at the higher positions and moving down towards the nut initially to avoid strain.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Mihailo

Post by Mihailo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:02 pm

I like it! Very innovative, although I would take ronjazz's advice. The strain starts to appear after some time. But that's a minor suggestion, good job on the exercise!
2012 Zoran Kuvac

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:44 pm

I had a bit of skin cancer removed from the back of my left hand last July. The cancerous spot itself was about the size of a pinto bean, but "to be safe" the surgeon cut out a plug 4x as large in each direction -- roughly the size of a US quarter -- to make sure there weren't any micro-tentacles going elsewhere. Since then, the elasticity of my hand in making large stretches has been noticeably less than previously. So I came up with this one (inspired by bars 3 & 4 of Barrios' "Estudio inconcluso") to force the issue. It seems to help.

I find it hard to believe this exercise is "original". but as I said above, I've not seen it printed anywhere.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:56 am

Thank you for posting this, David. By coincidence, I am in the midst of hunting for LH stretching exercises. I may well use your exercise, but I will drop the E in the 3rd measure to Eb, and in the 4th measure I will drop the A on the 3rd string to Ab. Without those flatted notes, those stretches would be less of a challenge than the initial stretch from A (4th finger on 1st string) to F (1st finger on 6th string).
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:41 am

Mark Featherstone wrote: Without those flatted notes, those stretches would be less of a challenge than the initial stretch from A (4th finger on 1st string) to F (1st finger on 6th string).
That's true, but I devised this to use the major scale. Your approach is a fine technical way, but my ear cringes with that flatted 7th. If nothing else, flat the A on 6th as well, so you end up with a natural minor scale.

Heck, do both ways!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:40 am

David_Norton wrote:
Mark Featherstone wrote: Without those flatted notes, those stretches would be less of a challenge than the initial stretch from A (4th finger on 1st string) to F (1st finger on 6th string).
That's true, but I devised this to use the major scale. Your approach is a fine technical way, but my ear cringes with that flatted 7th. If nothing else, flat the A on 6th as well, so you end up with a natural minor scale.

Heck, do both ways!
Having incorporated into my daily routine "Odair's Favorite Drill" on p 23 of Scott Tennant's Pumping Nylon, I can take any amount of discord. :)

Bruce Cockburn

Jeff Whitney

Post by Jeff Whitney » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:54 pm

"Having incorporated into my daily routine "Odair's Favorite Drill" on p 23 of Scott Tennant's Pumping Nylon, I can take any amount of discord."

Agreed Mark, that is a good one. Also the "spider" that is in the same book, is something that helps to warm-up my fingers.
Jeff Whitney
Prudencio Saez Mod. 8

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:34 pm

Jeff Whitney wrote:"Having incorporated into my daily routine "Odair's Favorite Drill" on p 23 of Scott Tennant's Pumping Nylon, I can take any amount of discord."

Agreed Mark, that is a good one. Also the "spider" that is in the same book, is something that helps to warm-up my fingers.
Yes, thanks, Jeff. I should be using that one as well.

Bruce Cockburn

hildegardofbingen

Post by hildegardofbingen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Great thanks for the exercise. Instead of moving up and down the fretboard, I tried just holding my fingers in place to loosen them up. Then moved either one up or down depending on position. Maybe I'll do the entire Fred board one day (sigh)

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi David,
I just saw this. Looks like a really good left hand gym session! Thanks.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”