What is the best arrangement of Asturias Leyenda (Albeniz)

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Neil Patrick

What is the best arrangement of Asturias Leyenda (Albeniz)

Post by Neil Patrick » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello all,
So currently and I'm starting to learn this wonderful piece. I have no problem whatsoever with the techniques. But the only thing that concerns me is that there are so many different versions of this piece.
I have all 5 of the original arrangements by Segovia (Union Musical Ediciones), Stanley Yates, Eythor Thorlaksson, D. Prat (published in Barcelona), Francois delcamp. They are very different and all does have critics. There are a lot of arguments about whether sounding like the original, using the triplet (Segovia creation), using different chords.
Please help me to choose the best one, something similar like John Williams or Ana Vidovic. Thank you very much!

David Norton

Re: What is the best arrangement of Asturias Leyenda (Albeniz)

Post by David Norton » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:37 am

My best advice to you is "don't get bogged down in the trivia" of finding The Perfect Edition. Because, like The Perfect Cup of Coffee, it is far too subjective a topic to define authoritatively. . Find a good arrangement, >>> learn to play it with exceptional precision and clarity <<<, and the audience will be thrilled. The best arrangement in the world, played haphazardly, will fail by comparison.

That being said, in my opinion, Angel Romero's 1978 recording is my favorite. But it isn't published.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:13 am

David_Norton wrote:My best advice to you is "don't get bogged down in the trivia" of finding The Perfect Edition. Because, like The Perfect Cup of Coffee, it is far too subjective a topic to define authoritatively. . Find a good arrangement, >>> learn to play it with exceptional precision and clarity <<<, and the audience will be thrilled. The best arrangement in the world, played haphazardly, will fail by comparison.

That being said, in my opinion, Angel Romero's 1978 recording is my favorite. But it isn't published.
Thank you for your very kind comment David. I think music is something very subjective. However I have always favored the Segovia's version, although I've heard some part is more difficult or even impossible for the left hand compared to other versions. Do you know what kind of version (or similar) does John William or Ana Vidovic play?

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:43 pm

It seems to me that JW and AV both used the Segovia edition as their starting point, then made subtle changes here and there. JW has at least three different versions on YouTube, and each has nuanced variances.

Also realize that Segovia doesn't play "the Segovia version" in precisely the way it is published, he makes some changes as well.

Going back to my thesis statement: unless you are playing for a juried competition where the panel have the score in their hands, it really doesn't much matter WHICH edition you use as your baseline. Clarity, tone, and forward momentum of the melodic line are far more critical here than agonizing over which edition is the Most Authentic or The Best.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Scott_Kritzer

Post by Scott_Kritzer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm currently performing a great transcription by Michael Lorimer but I think its unpublished. I've done my own, Segovia's, etc but this one really shines, especially in the middle section.
Classical Guitarist Scott Kritzer

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:47 am

David_Norton wrote:It seems to me that JW and AV both used the Segovia edition as their starting point, then made subtle changes here and there. JW has at least three different versions on YouTube, and each has nuanced variances.

Also realize that Segovia doesn't play "the Segovia version" in precisely the way it is published, he makes some changes as well.

Going back to my thesis statement: unless you are playing for a juried competition where the panel have the score in their hands, it really doesn't much matter WHICH edition you use as your baseline. Clarity, tone, and forward momentum of the melodic line are far more critical here than agonizing over which edition is the Most Authentic or The Best.
Thanks alot for the helpful advice David, I might just stick with the Segovia's version from now on for practicing, once I mastered this piece, I will consider trying out different versions!

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:49 am

Scott_Kritzer wrote:I'm currently performing a great transcription by Michael Lorimer but I think its unpublished. I've done my own, Segovia's, etc but this one really shines, especially in the middle section.
Would you be so kind to share the sheet for me :) ?

Robert Canada

Post by Robert Canada » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 am

David_Norton wrote:My best advice to you is "don't get bogged down in the trivia" of finding The Perfect Edition. Because, like The Perfect Cup of Coffee, it is far too subjective a topic to define authoritatively. . Find a good arrangement, >>> learn to play it with exceptional precision and clarity <<<, and the audience will be thrilled. The best arrangement in the world, played haphazardly, will fail by comparison.

But I do want to find the perfect cup of coffee.

But that aside is there a sample of this recording in you tube or any place?

Does anyone know which edition Gresha plays?

chuck

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 pm

I've listened to many versions, but what sold me on the Stanley Yates arrangement was listening to pianists play it. The Yates version is much more faithful to the original piano version than any of the others. The Segovia transcription changes the piece to add some very guitaristic effects, which are beautiful, but if you listen to the piano version you will find that the changes were not needed for the most part. But I, too, have made a few changes that sound better on guitar (to me) than the original piano, like the chord in measures 37–39. That one I copied from one of the John Williams versions.

It all comes down to what you like, though. Your taste may like the piano version better, or the Segovia version better. Or parts of both. I really dislike the Pepe Romero version, but others love it. Don't get too dogmatic. It's just music!

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm

I recently came across a gentleman called Isaac Bustos playing Asturias Leyenda on YouTube:-
https://youtu.be/ODs3ksibEH8

I really enjoyed his rendition of the piece.

I was wondering if anyone knows whose arrangement he is playing? Or, is it perhaps his own? It's similar to others I've heard but different in some details.
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 am

You have got to love the triplets in the Segovia version, particularly how WIlliams interpreted them. I went for this edition without a thought.

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Barrueco plays it good. I think he played it in a Lexus commercial to show how smooth a ride it was.... Has any one got the link?
I've always done my own arrangement using the bits I like from different players.

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Barrueco — 1993 Munich
https://youtu.be/gxyI3qNnhkQ
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 am

Roland Chadwick has made a very nice arrangement, which he made for a female student with smaller hands. Here is what he says about his arrangement:
I came to the making of this arrangement trying to solve some of the more difficult passages for the tiny hands of one of my students. I discovered on reference to the original piano scores available that the existing transcriptions varied considerably from Albéniz's original written conception in the voicing of some very important chords, some of the actual notes and nearly all of the dynamic markings. It seemed to me that the previous transcriptions had asked the question ‘what will sound good on the guitar?’ and the answer to that question lies in the transcriptions handed down to us but it clear to me as a composer that Albéniz would view those results with scepticism.

I have come to this arrangement not as a guitarist but as a composer looking to sympathize with Albéniz's original intent. I have tried not to throw the baby out with the bathwater and so I have retained some of the triplet movement introduced in earlier attempts but have discarded them when they become superfluous to the composer's original aims.
It is published by Bergmann Edition

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 pm

bergmann wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 am
Roland Chadwick has made a very nice arrangement, which he made for a female student with smaller hands. Here is what he says about his arrangement:

"....but it clear to me as a composer that Albéniz would view those results with scepticism."

Oh, horsefeathers. Arrogance and horsefeathers. With one notable exception, every composer I've ever known or worked with was simply happy that their efforts were considered worth the time and effort of getting played by anybody else.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”