What is the best arrangement of Asturias Leyenda (Albeniz)

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Dirck Nagy

Re: What is the best arrangement of Asturias Leyenda (Albeniz)

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 pm
With one notable exception, every composer I've ever known or worked with was simply happy that their efforts were considered worth the time and effort of getting played by anybody else.
David, who was this?

cheers
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Roland Chadwick wrote:...but it clear to me as a composer that Albéniz would view those results with scepticism.
David_Norton wrote:Oh, horsefeathers. Arrogance and horsefeathers.
Lol - having had the privelege of working with RC (on a recording with the English Chamber Orchestra) that really did make me laugh out loud. I have to say that "the composer's intention" (beyond simply getting their music heard and paid for) is an important consideration to me but in this case, in at least one respect, you're bang on the money. Maybe it takes one to know one.
Dirck Nagy wrote:
David_Norton wrote:With one notable exception, every composer I've ever known or worked with was simply happy that their efforts were considered worth the time and effort of getting played by anybody else.
David, who was this?
Probably not the composer that David's referencing Dirck but Maria Linneman is a stickler for every note being exactly as written. She once reprimanded me very sharply for inadvertently supplementing a short melodic passage with 3rds - her take was, "If you don't think that my music is good enough as it is then please don't play it at all."

To be fair, I had remembered it incorrectly - from a hand-written copy of the music given to me by her brother Henrik many years previously. She forgave me later of course - she can't help it - generous lady.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:28 am

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm

David, who was this?
Sorry, I've learned from past indiscretions to not "out" disputes I've had with non-forum people in public. Nothing good ever comes of it.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

brooks

Post by brooks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:06 am

It seemed to me that the previous transcriptions had asked the question ‘what will sound good on the guitar?’ and the answer to that question lies in the transcriptions handed down to us but it clear to me as a composer that Albéniz would view those results with scepticism.
In his The Art and Times of the Guitar Frederic V. Grunfeld apparently (I don't have the book, but someone who does might confirm...I'm sure many have heard this story) quotes (unsourced) Albeniz, on hearing Tarrega perform a transcription of one of his pieces, as exclaiming "This is precisely as I had conceived it!" Anyone who has compared a Tarrega transcription to the original score knows he approached the art with a 19th century aesthetic...relatively free, romantic, creative, instrument-idiomatic. At least this is my feeling about his transcriptions, especially when compared to more contemporary interpreters/arrangers/virtuosi like Barrueco or Russell. Anyway, if Grunfeld's anecdote is true, it indicates old Isaac was pretty open to liberties being taken with his music if the spirit was preserved, and apparently he felt Tarrega brought the music closer to that original spirit than even his own piano score. Which makes a certain amount of sense since he was inspired by the folk music of spain.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 am

I like my version with octaves throughout. (Actually very first score I had had octaves throughout the piece) you can check it out "terpfan leyenda" at YouTube. It's slightly more challenging.

slidika

Post by slidika » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 pm

I liked Isaac Bustos' playing of it quite a bit, especially the extra harmonics.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

I do break with tradition at times.
If anyone knows of where I can get her transcription
I would like to know.
Margarita Escarpa Asturias
Link here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yg8qDizhd0

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 am

Wow! Where does one find the music for that arrangement?

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 am

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:16 am

Thanks for the link.

rjc7313

Post by rjc7313 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

A bit off topic but my favorite version is this y Yepes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSxD3S ... jreload=10 However it's not possible to play this version with out a 10 string guitar.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”