Right Hand Technique - Dissertation

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
pogmoor

Right Hand Technique - Dissertation

Postby pogmoor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:46 pm

One of my pastimes in idle moments is looking through online repositories of academic dissertations for interesting topics. Today I came across a 2009 University of Pretoria thesis entitled: The development of right hand guitar technique with reference to sound production. I haven't come across the author, Gerrit Lukas Roos, in any other context and I haven't so far done more than skim through the work, but he seems to have written a very comprehensive article. He deals with historical aspects of plucked string instrument technique before the 19th century and and focusses attention on the the variety of ideas about guitar RH technique from Carulli, Giuliani, Sor and Aguado to the present day. It looks like a good read.

Google The development of right hand guitar technique with reference to sound production. and you'll easily find it.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

guitarrista

Re: Right Hand Technique - Dissertation

Postby guitarrista » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Very interesting! Thank you!

Also, here's a page with a link to the pdf file of the thesis: http://repository.up.ac.za/handle/2263/27710

The dissertation is in the official University of Pretoria Research Output public repository and is open access, so I don't think there is any problem with posting the link here.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:54 am

Most interesting, indeed ! Thanks a lot for turning our attention to this dissertation.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

guit-box

Postby guit-box » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:25 am

Very interesting, that will take some time to read completely. It appears there was as much agreement as disagreement about right hand technique through the years -- just like now.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:33 pm

it is a nice thesis. Someone has posted this here already sometime ago and I have read it that time.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”