Help with Harmonics at the 19th Fret

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
bflemin

Help with Harmonics at the 19th Fret

Postby bflemin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:42 am

I'm trying to learn the first movement (Preludio "Saudade") of Barrios' astoundingly beautiful "La Catedral". The part I can't figure out is the third-to-last measure where it calls for harmonics at the 19th fret. It's very awkward to try and reach with my left hand. My reference video is Ana Vidovic's performance on YouTube. It appears she is actually playing these harmonics with her right hand? Could someone provide a how-to on this technique?

The last movement seems about 457% more difficult. I'm guessing this part will have to wait until my skills evolve. I'm guessing it shouldn't take more than four or five decades...
2015 Dominelli Cedar #118

Alan Green

Re: Help with Harmonics at the 19th Fret

Postby Alan Green » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:16 am

It's a natural harmonic at that point, so shouldn't cause too many difficulties.

Touch the string with your right index finger, directly above the fret, then pluck the string with your right ring finger - you'll use the same technique for playing harmonics above fretted notes so it makes sense to start becoming familiar with it early on.

bflemin

Postby bflemin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Thank you, Alan. It's a little trickier than I thought, but I'll start working on it. Thanks for the explanation.
2015 Dominelli Cedar #118

robert e

Postby robert e » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Just a reminder: You get the same harmonic at the 19th fret and at the 7th.

Also, you get the same harmonic at the 19th fret whether the string is fretted at the 7th or is open. I believe Vidovic transitions from one to the other method in that passage.

Other concert players, as you can see on youtube, prefer the 7th fret harmonic there. That makes a lot of sense because the index finger is already there at the 7th, but I could never make that little transition sound smooth. I wish I could do it that way, because it seems like fewer moving parts to me, which means fewer things that can go wrong, but I do it the same way Vidovic does because for me it comes out smoother. YMMV.

Anastas

Postby Anastas » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:59 am

And a little tip about harmonics in general. They sound more clear and loud if you play nearer to the bridge with your RH (so called ponticello or sul pont.).

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”