I want to play Carulli's Siciliana in A minor

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Hany Hayek

I want to play Carulli's Siciliana in A minor

Postby Hany Hayek » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:17 pm

I want to play Carulli's Siciliana in A minor.
I know there are videos on youtube like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlkday4GAZc).
I got the notation from "musicaneo" and working on the first 8 bars
But I still need the correct right hand stokes and the left hand fingering.
I have only been playing for a couple of months and I have got to "savez vous planter des choux" from Delcamp D01 and already posted these two pieces:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=109143
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=109303
Please tell me if I am going too fast.
My mandolin teacher lots of times simply stops me when I try to take bigger steps than I should :)

Yisrael van Handel

Re: I want to play Carulli's Siciliana in A minor

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi, Hany,
I looked at your two videos. You are off to a good start. I noticed extra movement in your right hand. I noticed that your left hand is somewhat pronated. And I noticed that you hold the guitar relatively low. You will be able to develop greater reach and left-hand agility if you change your sitting position. You will gain greater stability in your right hand if you review correct right-hand technique. And you will be able to play with less effort if you supernate your left hand a little more. Since you are off to a good start, I think you would benefit from getting a copy of Stanley Yates' Classical Guitar Technique from Foundations to Virtuosity. For the foreseeable future, you only need Volume 1, the Foundations. I realize this is a major expense (if I remember correctly, you live in Egypt--I live next door, so I know about the cost of getting books to the Middle East), but I think you are ready for a deep immersion in sitting correctly, and right and left hand technique. You seem to have mastered the basics of reading music and your efforts sound like they are mainly limited by lack of well-trained muscles. So this is the right time to work on technique in parallel to playing pieces. Stanley Yates' book explains the why of everything and goes into great detail about the exact movements and what to be aware of. This is very important whenever you are playing without the supervision of a teacher (even if you have a teacher). I hope this helps.
PS. About Carulli's Siciliana: I have no opinion on the subject. In general, it is more important to develop good tone and proper technique, which is easier to establish first with the very easiest pieces. On the other hand, it is important to enjoy playing the guitar.
I hope this helps.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Hany Hayek

Re: I want to play Carulli's Siciliana in A minor

Postby Hany Hayek » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks Yisrael. I appreciate the advise and thanks for watching my videos.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”