Pavel Steidl on sound dynamics from Left-Hand

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Luis_Br

Pavel Steidl on sound dynamics from Left-Hand

Postby Luis_Br » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Several times I comment here that a lot of modern players tend to sound boring, IMO, mainly because lack of colors and no vibrato. Vibrato is not only about a huge ornament, it also can be used to enhance sustain, to shape the sound etc.
Here Pavel Steidl explaining how to achieve a new dynamic dimension through the use of left-hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evxZm7A8EgI#t=3m12s

Henny

Re: Pavel Steidl on sound dynamics from Left-Hand

Postby Henny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for bringing this up..i recently discovered his video. it takes quite some practice to incorporate it in your playing but being aware of this is a start.
another aspect what goes with it is the complete relaxation of the body when playing.
your brain give the commands to your hands with a complete relaxed body.

Luis_Br

Re: Pavel Steidl on sound dynamics from Left-Hand

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

I don't think it is necessary to do all the wide movements he teaches. Wider movement might be interesting for developing perception and practice, but to the advanced player, small and subtle finger pressure and angle of pressure work with LH is enough to achieve the same resullts. It is more or less like most teachers recommendations for beginners to work RH with wider movements first, but later on you learn to be more economic. Finally the most important thing is to simply pay attention and use the LH influence on the final sound, then you can develop it on your own.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”