What was your first tremolo piece?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Marshall Dixon

Re: What was your first tremolo piece?

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:10 am

Greensleeves - Frederic Noad's version from his Solo Classical Guitar Book 1.

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 pm

A compás or two of Soleares, back in the beginning, when I thought I was a flamenco player (I wasn't). Then, my first actually decent guitar teacher gave me as an exercise, a few bars of what I subsequently discovered to be the beginning of Carcassi's 7th etude, and I was onto a path more typical of those already recounted in this thread. A suggestion was made as to your first essaying as an introduction to the technique, a tremolo piece with most of its emphasis on first string tremolo. This is a valid pedogogical thought, though the flip side of it may be that that would serve to ensconce the active technical interfaces that can make tremolo more difficult when moved to inner strings. Anyway, if this first foray is to be a significant piece with lasting place in your repertoire, then Una Limosna would fit this profile. The left hand demands really aren't that difficult, if one uses amenable fingerings, which aren't always those found in printed editions.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Carcassi #7 is a good choice. You might want to purchase "The Complete Study of Tremolo" by Vladimir Bobri. There's an excellent beginner tremolo piece at the end of that book, by Karl Ogden.

Another really good one is Ponce's "Preludio Corto #1" (not one of The Famous 24), though that piece engages the inner strings. It isn't meant to be played super fast so the student can maintain better control.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am

There is also the Sagreras tremolo study in Book 3 Lesson 4 which you can download from this site.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 am

I am actively avoiding doing any tremolo pieces!

Assuming Carcassi Op.60 No. (7? 9?) doesn't count (I would say it doesn't if you aren't trying to treat it as such).

I've seen different versions of Op. 60 where 7 and 9 are swapped, not sure which is which but I guess it should actually be 7?

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:00 pm

With recuerdos, the LH isn't much concern. However there are some barres that can start to burn especially if u take the repeats.

Malmsteen won't help with the right hand though. It's not hard to play but hard to make sound convincing. If it sounds like "rippling water" with a clear note sense you are doing it right.

There's a castle of Spain in the set Segovia never edited that has tremolo but it has two note chords on beat one. The carcassi study is what I used at first but it isn't really tremelo. If you do a p-a-m-I roll on each string Durant matter if you fret it then move to p on another string while keeping a-m-i on the first string you'll get closer to it. You can start slow then maybe had a "dotted" feel to help bring your accuracy up. I think that's also in one of the Noad books.
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

MR.AWAW

Post by MR.AWAW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:47 am

I think Paganini have 1 etude for tremolo study , but not so sure

MR.AWAW

Post by MR.AWAW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 am

I think Paganini have 1 etude for tremolo study , but not so sure

CactusWren

Post by CactusWren » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 pm

I found that learning the trem on the 1st string was pretty easy, but I nearly had to relearn it to play on the 2nd string. You have so much more room on the 1st. If I had to do it over, I'd just learn it on the 2nd string, nice and slow.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”