What direction for Tremolo?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
twistedblues

What direction for Tremolo?

Postby twistedblues » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 am

What direction should your right hand fingers be pushing when doing tremolo? Are you pushing Down like a free stroke? Or?

Bernhard Heimann

Re: What direction for Tremolo?

Postby Bernhard Heimann » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am

twistedblues

Postby twistedblues » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Thank you. Watching the videos and still confused on which direction to go. They put text in the video about 90 degree angle and so on but. Is it pushing down towards the top? Or? I guess it depends on which string? This is the only part I haven't been able to clarify yet.

What direction should your right hand fingers be pushing when doing tremolo? Are you pushing Down like a free stroke? Or?

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 pm

If you consider that tremolo is an arpeggio on one string and arpeggios are done using free stroke so as not to damp the lower string, one would use the same trajectory, just missing the next string as in free stroke.
Usually, one practices arpeggios on separate strings first, before attempting to apply it to tremolo technique, which is a special case of arpeggio practice. At least that is what my teachers have told me...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Johnny Geudel

Postby Johnny Geudel » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 pm

twistedblues wrote:Thank you. Watching the videos and still confused on which direction to go. They put text in the video about 90 degree angle and so on but. Is it pushing down towards the top? Or? I guess it depends on which string? This is the only part I haven't been able to clarify yet.

Why not ask Dmitry Nilov directly in his tread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110602#p1176188) ?

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 am

Free stroke, but not all the way. When you do a normal arpeggio or pluck the strings, you pluck it all the way, it's like your fingers are walking. In tremolo it's different. You pluck it with ease, less tension. It's like you are scratching your head. It's like you touch it and go.

Try watching the Recuerdos video of John Williams' Seville Concert on Youtube. The one with 948,977 views. At 1:50 mark you can see JW right hand tremolo. It's like he is just scratching the strings, it's like his fingers are floating. Something like that. But at the same time the sound is even and loud, it's hard at first, so just practice.

twistedblues

Postby twistedblues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks a million!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”