Right hand tone production

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Briant

Right hand tone production

Post by Briant » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:04 pm

i have found an inbalance in my RH and am looking for suggestions of what to try.
If i play a scale with m,a. The tone is acceptable but when i play the same scale with i, m. The m finger sounds thin and scratchy. Playing i, a it is ok.
Is this a function of nail shape or hand position or both.
Any suggestions of what to try would be appreciated.

Bill B

Re: Right hand tone production

Post by Bill B » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm

both or either nail shape and hand position problems could potentially cause this problem. but if its the tone of your m finger that is the problem and its only a problem when you play IM, not MA, then the problem can't just be nail shape, it is clearly related to the position of your hand. The solution might involve reshaping the nail, but it will certainly involve looking carefully at your hand to see what is different about your m finger when you play with a as opposed to when you use I.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks Bill. I will check this out.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Sounds like you are (unconsciously) changing your hand angle in these different RH fingerings, perhaps your wrist is more bent when the tone deteriorates?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

msa3psu

Post by msa3psu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm

or you are rotating your wrist toward i (bringing it closer to the string) when playing im and rotating the other way toward a when playing ma. Try placing all three fingers on the same string at the same time. Check that your nails are filed at angles suitable for this position and then play the scale imamia etc. Then play im scale and ma scale without changing hand position. Be careful of wrist rotation.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:24 pm

In addition to the recommendations above, look at your right hand when you play m. Does the finger rotate slightly as you pluck the string? If so, the nail will then be more parallel with the string and the tone "nailier " sounding than if the finger holds its position and the nail is at an angle. This sometimes happens if we are unaware, or if the muscles in the finger are not quite strong enough to prevent rotation.
Just one more thing to check...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Briant wrote:i have found an inbalance in my RH and am looking for suggestions of what to try.
If i play a scale with m,a. The tone is acceptable but when i play the same scale with i, m. The m finger sounds thin and scratchy. Playing i, a it is ok.
Is this a function of nail shape or hand position or both.
Any suggestions of what to try would be appreciated.
Try playing a-m-a-m which as you say works for you, and then once in a while throw in a-m-a-m-i-m-i-m-a..

Did all the bolded "m"s sound ok as before when you were just doing a-m-a-m..? If so then you just managed to play a short i-m-i-m without the thin/scratchy m sound.

In any case I agree with the others that it is likely to be a subtly-changed finger position which causes this.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Briant

Post by Briant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:22 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Sounds like you are (unconsciously) changing your hand angle in these different RH fingerings, perhaps your wrist is more bent when the tone deteriorates?
Thanks Stephen. After an initial look at my hand position this appears to be the problem.

Msa thanks for your detailed description of the problem.

I will adopt the suggestions of RH finger patterns. And Lagartija, it may not be just finger strength but a little arthritus.

Having just bought a new guitar i am keen on getting the best tone possible. At the moment the guitar is capable of producing a beutiful sound but unfortunately my fingers are not consistent.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:12 pm

How about posting a youtube video of your right hand close up? Then people can make better suggestions and avoid the endless guessing what the problem might be.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Just a couple of notes that might help!

After experiments I have noticed ( though never read it ) that my "m" nail has to be a little shorter than "i" and "a". My explanation is that as the m finger is longer, it comes in with a more aggressive angle to the string ..

Another tip I have fond; play the first couple of meters of Scarlatti's l352 , there is a fast arpegio that includes "i", "m" and "a" in a row for once. I play after nails done this to see if a nail is longer ( = it will stuck instantly on it's string ) than it should be!

hope these help!
Regards,
George
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Briant

Post by Briant » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 am

[quote="georgemarousi"]Just a couple of notes that might help!

After experiments I have noticed ( though never read it ) that my "m" nail has to be a little shorter than "i" and "a". My explanation is that as the m finger is longer, it comes in with a more aggressive angle to the string.

Thanks George. I have experimented with filing my m fingernail shorter than i and a. This has helped with the tone production.
I have also spent the last week following the suggestions from guitarrista concentrating on m,a then introducing i.

The combination of these tips has worked well and i am pleased with the results. :merci:

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Briant, your'e welcome, I am very happy with that !

After you nails done, try to play a fast (equal tempo) passage of B-G-D-G with fingering as B (a) - G(m) - D (i) - G (m) . If a nail tends to stuck more, probably needs a little more filing.

Finally, i believe that after the correct length is reached, various grades of sanding papers ( up to around 10.000 grade ones ) and some humidity on the fingers before starting ( i.e. from your hair! ) are also imortant
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”