Aaron Shearer, a life with the guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jack Douglas

Aaron Shearer, a life with the guitar

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm aware this is an old, 2004, production, but I saw it for the first time last night and found it inspiring. Having been trained in a completely different profession, landscape architecture, I've had exposure to both process and technique. What I found remarkable was that the teaching of a 'defensible' technique did not exist before Mr. Shearer invented his in 1959. And that Segovia, the reigning performance master, taught by 'do what I do' and apparently could not relate at all to teaching any beginner. Shearer had to sort through non documented observations of traditions and then write step by step repeatable directions and then draw illustrations of these. It reminds me of some of the early design manuels I read describing such things as 'bubble diagrams'. Shearer did this for the playing of the classical guitar. I'm so thankful for the 1963 edition of his book 'Classic Guitar Technique 1' and his reminder of relaxed hands, strict alternation.
I was inspired too that Mr Shearer's passion for the guitar and his continuing search for improvement in the teaching and demonstration of technique became his lifetime passion.
And thanks too for Peabody, clearly the Harvard of classical guitar, for providing the teaching platform for the genius of Shearer. Today, I will be thankful for the inspiration and technique direction he gave me.
Hauser III 2014!

Bea

Re: Aaron Shearer, a life with the guitar

Post by Bea » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:56 am

Hi Jack, I have the Aaron Shearer book, Classic Guitar Technique 1. I bought it some years ago when I decided to learn classical guitar. The salesperson at the music store recommended this book. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I didn't go through everything in it. Now that I read your comment makes me want to go back to it and recap its exercises and pieces. Thanks for sharing this.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Bea wrote:Hi Jack, I have the Aaron Shearer book, Classic Guitar Technique 1. I bought it some years ago when I decided to learn classical guitar. The salesperson at the music store recommended this book. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I didn't go through everything in it. Now that I read your comment makes me want to go back to it and recap its exercises and pieces. Thanks for sharing this.
Hi Bea,
Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful comments. I'm so happy you're inspired to go back to the book to refresh your technique. I've played with bad habits of technique for a number of years and never made 'technique' progress. Right after Christmas this year I started taking lessons with a former student and colleague of Aaron Shearer. He reworks some of the exercises toward the end of the book changing the all free stroke exercises to ones where the melody notes are played with rest stroke. And he has harped on using 'P' rest stroke with I,m, or a free stroke, both notes played at the same time. I'm having a tough time with that one.
Enjoy your review of his Technique Book 1!
And thank you again for your post!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Bea

Post by Bea » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Jack Douglas wrote: And he has harped on using 'P' rest stroke with I,m, or a free stroke, both notes played at the same time. I'm having a tough time with that one.Jack
Yes I know what this means, it is very hard. I think Mr. Delcamp taught us this at some point, I took delcamp lessons to level D03. Also I followed some of the Sagreras lessons in book 1 and think this technique is there too.

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:44 am

Jack Douglas wrote:And thanks too for Peabody, clearly the Harvard of classical guitar, for providing the teaching platform for the genius of Shearer. Today, I will be thankful for the inspiration and technique direction he gave me.
I am using his method of training for myself and find it very beneficial.
La Patrie Collection/LaBella 2001 Extra Hard Tension

~ You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body ~
C.S. Lewis

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:31 am

Hello Everyone, Interesting subject and research. I have in my CG library the Shearer's "Concert Guitar Technique" - A fundamental approach to beginning guitar study - published in 1937 by G.Ricordi & Co. Price $2.00 It is really not much different than the second edition (Revised) in 1959 by Franco Colombo Publications and renewed by Belwin-Mills Publishing Corp. The forward to the second edition written by Mr. Shearer refers to the Classical Guitar Technique as the first edition of the volume under the new title as "Classical Guitar Technique"

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Joe de V wrote:Hello Everyone, Interesting subject and research. I have in my CG library the Shearer's "Concert Guitar Technique" - A fundamental approach to beginning guitar study - published in 1937 by G.Ricordi & Co. Price $2.00 It is really not much different than the second edition (Revised) in 1959 by Franco Colombo Publications and renewed by Belwin-Mills Publishing Corp. The forward to the second edition written by Mr. Shearer refers to the Classical Guitar Technique as the first edition of the volume under the new title as "Classical Guitar Technique"

I have found that there are 3 Aaron Shearer Methods:

Method 1. The Classic Guitar Technique Vol 1 and 2, Mentioned Above ^

Method 2. Learning the Classic Guitar - Parts 1, 2 & 3

with 4 additional components:

(1) Note Speller
(2) Supplement 1 - Slur, Ornament and Reach Development
(3) Supplement 2 - Basic Elements of Music Theory
(4) Supplement 3 - Scale Pattern Studies for Guitar

Method 3. The Aaron Shearer Foundation Publication:

The Shearer Method Classic Guitar Foundations w/DVD and On Line access for multiple resources.

I have found the Second Method, Learning the Classic Guitar, with the Supplements the most beneficial and clear for the Self Taught approach. Of all the different methods I have spent time evaluating, essentially trying to learn from each method, Method 2 works best for me. I need specifics and I need tasks and techniques broken down to their most elemental parts and function the way Mr. Shearer does in the "Learning the Classic Guitar" series. It can be confusing to try and purchase these "out-of-print" books because they come with different covers, the same "Method 2" books. Here are two examples below:
Learning Classic Guitar solid cover.jpg
Learning Classic Guitar.jpg
Same Method Books Different Covers, however you can see the titles are the same. They can be purchased used on Amazon and Abe Books.

Edited for clarification and corrections
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C.S. Lewis

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Pat Ross wrote:
Joe de V wrote:Hello Everyone, Interesting subject and research. I have in my CG library the Shearer's "Concert Guitar Technique" - A fundamental approach to beginning guitar study - published in 1937 by G.Ricordi & Co. Price $2.00 It is really not much different than the second edition (Revised) in 1959 by Franco Colombo Publications and renewed by Belwin-Mills Publishing Corp. The forward to the second edition written by Mr. Shearer refers to the Classical Guitar Technique as the first edition of the volume under the new title as "Classical Guitar Technique"

(1) Note Speller

The Shearer Method Classic Guitar Foundations w/DVD and On Line access for multiple resources.

I have found the Second Method, Learning the Classic Guitar, with the Supplements the most beneficial and clear for the Self Taught approach. Of all the different methods I have spent time evaluating, essentially trying to learn from each method, Method 2 works best for me. I need specifics and I need tasks and techniques broken down to their most elemental parts and function the way Mr. Shearer does in the "Learning the Classic Guitar" series. It can be confusing to try and purchase these "out-of-print" books because they come with different covers, the same "Method 2" books. Here are two examples below:

Learning Classic Guitar solid cover.jpgLearning Classic Guitar.jpg

Same Method Books Different Covers, however you can see the titles are the same. They can be purchased used on Amazon and Abe Books.

Hi Pat,
Thank you for posting this helpful information. I ran into the different cover issue when trying to find Carcassi's Guitar Method by Carl Fischer. The original is long out of print and what copies can be found are overpriced!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:26 pm

If you are looking for a method, look at Christopher Berg's book. Berg studied with Shearer for seven years and has continued his work. When you have read what Berg has to say, go through the Slow Motion topic in this list. It's very revealing on a rather advanced level.

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:34 pm

So are you talking about "Mastering Guitar Technique: Process & Essence" ?
Mastering Guitar Technique Process and Essence.jpg
Would you elaborate more on what you mean by "Reading what Berg said"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C.S. Lewis

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Berg's book is mostly text. If you read the book (it's not that long), you will get a lot more out of the slo-mo thread on Delcamp.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 pm

BTW, I sent Berg to the So-Mo thread, and he said he would read it. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Bea wrote:Hi Jack, I have the Aaron Shearer book, Classic Guitar Technique 1. I bought it some years ago when I decided to learn classical guitar. The salesperson at the music store recommended this book. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I didn't go through everything in it. Now that I read your comment makes me want to go back to it and recap its exercises and pieces. Thanks for sharing this.
Bea,

You might watch my playlist on the Shearer Technique. All I do is describe what Shearer (and Berg) taught). It needs to be updated a bit because of new information, but there is nothing in there that will hurt you. The video on ballistic motion is meant as an update on the free stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D7FA3F7B59

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Pat Ross wrote:

(1) Note Speller

Learning Classic Guitar solid cover.jpgLearning Classic Guitar.jpg

Hi Pat,
Thank you for posting this helpful information. I ran into the different cover issue when trying to find Carcassi's Guitar Method by Carl Fischer. The original is long out of print and what copies can be found are overpriced!
Jack

Hello Pat and Jack: I have a copy of the "Complete Carcassi Guitar Method" published in 1994 by Mel Bay Publishers with the following note...
"the purpose of the revision of this famous guitar method is two-fold:
(1) to modernize the fingering for the right hand, based on the fingering of the Spanish master Francisco Tarrega
(2) to organize the contents in a more logical sequence for study and teaching purposes. All exercises and pieces are in the original form.
No notes have been changed or altered in the process of revision.
Mel Bay Publications at the time I purchase it the cost was $12.95
The introduction and explanation are in two languages English and Spanish. Well worth addition to any CG player library.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 am

Hi Joe,
I found a Matteo Carcassi, Classical Guitar Method, op 59 published in 2011, edited by Philippe Bertaud and bought a copy. It is published by Carl Fischer and looks to be like the Mel Bay publication. Thanks for making me aware of the Mel Bay book.
Jack
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”