Aaron Shearer, a life with the guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jack Douglas

Re: Aaron Shearer, a life with the guitar

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 am

Hello Pat and Jack: I have a copy of the "Complete Carcassi Guitar Method" published in 1994 by Mel Bay Publishers with the following note...
"the purpose of the revision of this famous guitar method is two-fold:
(1) to modernize the fingering for the right hand, based on the fingering of the Spanish master Francisco Tarrega
(2) to organize the contents in a more logical sequence for study and teaching purposes. All exercises and pieces are in the original form.
No notes have been changed or altered in the process of revision.
Mel Bay Publications at the time I purchase it the cost was $12.95
The introduction and explanation are in two languages English and Spanish. Well worth addition to any CG player library.
..[/quote]

See my previous post. I found a similar 2011 publication by Carl Fischer, edited by Philippe Bertaud. It says the same thing about modernizing the fingerings. I'm amazed at how many Carcassi publications exist.

Thank you for making me aware of the Mel Bay publication.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Bea

Post by Bea » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:16 am

Joe de V wrote:Hello Everyone, Interesting subject and research. I have in my CG library the Shearer's "Concert Guitar Technique" - A fundamental approach to beginning guitar study - published in 1937 by G.Ricordi & Co. Price $2.00 It is really not much different than the second edition (Revised) in 1959 by Franco Colombo Publications and renewed by Belwin-Mills Publishing Corp. The forward to the second edition written by Mr. Shearer refers to the Classical Guitar Technique as the first edition of the volume under the new title as "Classical Guitar Technique"
Oh, I see you paid 2$ for the first edition, I paid 18$ for the second edition, and it is not much different :o

Bea

Post by Bea » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:35 am

kmurdick wrote:
Bea wrote:Hi Jack, I have the Aaron Shearer book, Classic Guitar Technique 1. I bought it some years ago when I decided to learn classical guitar. The salesperson at the music store recommended this book. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I didn't go through everything in it. Now that I read your comment makes me want to go back to it and recap its exercises and pieces. Thanks for sharing this.
Bea,

You might watch my playlist on the Shearer Technique. All I do is describe what Shearer (and Berg) taught). It needs to be updated a bit because of new information, but there is nothing in there that will hurt you. The video on ballistic motion is meant as an update on the free stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D7FA3F7B59
Thanks I watched a couple of your videos. I have a question for the P stroke, so the P has to come rest on the index finger, or can it rest on the next string, what's the difference? because i make rest the P on the next string.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I have a question for the P stroke, so the P has to come rest on the index finger, or can it rest on the next string, what's the difference? because i make rest the P on the next string.[/quote]

Hi Bea,

I'm not a teacher, but just spent a fair amount of time learning P as a free stroke and rest stroke. The hand position is completely different for both. As a free stroke the thumb would come to rest on the index finger and is played without any right hand position modification. P as a rest stroke requires that P plucks the appropriate string and follows through to rest on the adjacent string. The right hand position is more forward when I, m or a is also plucked. See page 60 in Shearer's CG Technique 1 for a written description. It's impossible to grasp this concept without a teacher or very detailed video. It will require a very relaxed right hand and lots of patience to develop this technique enough to be used when playing.

The gentleman who studied with Christopher Berg and who did the Shearer technique videos may have a video example to post, but as I said previously a teacher would be best in helping you with this technique.

Best of success with this..
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Shearer changed his mind about teaching P rest stroke in his 2nd set of method books. He considered it an advanced technique because it tended to tense up the hand in beginners. Also, if the free stroke is done using all three P joints, it has all the power and perhaps all of the tone of a P rest stroke. Many fine players rarely use P rest stroke although a few use it all the time.

Resting P lightly against the 'i' finger does not inhibit the 'i' finger movement and gives P a chance to recover. Watch a player with a very rapid Pi alternation and you will often see them have a P follow through that touches the 'i' finger.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 pm

kmurdick wrote:Shearer changed his mind about teaching P rest stroke in his 2nd set of method books. He considered it an advanced technique because it tended to tense up the hand in beginners. Also, if the free stroke is done using all three P joints, it has all the power and perhaps all of the tone of a P rest stroke. Many fine players rarely use P rest stroke although a few use it all the time.

Resting P lightly against the 'i' finger does not inhibit the 'i' finger movement and gives P a chance to recover. Watch a player with a very rapid Pi alternation and you will often see them have a P follow through that touches the 'i' finger.
This is very informative information. I have struggled with the P rest stroke and honestly can think of only a couple of situations where it would be advantageous.

Thanks for the post.

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Karen

Post by Karen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Interesting that not much in this forum is about p rest stoke. I struggled learning p rest stroke and finally sorta have it - until, coming up, I will have to combine the p rest stroke in a chord with free stroke fingers. My teacher assures me it is a talent worth having but I have my doubts I will ever accomplish it. It is reassuring not everyone does this so if I don't achieve it it isn't the end of the world :roll:

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 am

If you learn to use the P-tip joint with P stroke, it will be very powerful. David Russell does this and Shearer also advocated the use of the P-tip. Here are my two videos on the P stroke. BTW, not many players do it this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JH0Yj4 ... 59&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIktEQc ... 9&index=14

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 am

kmurdick wrote:If you learn to use the P-tip joint with P stroke, it will be very powerful. David Russell does this and Shearer also advocated the use of the P-tip. Here are my two videos on the P stroke. BTW, not many players do it this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JH0Yj4 ... 59&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIktEQc ... 9&index=14
Hi Kmurdick,

Thank you for posting these. Have you done a video demonstrating P Rest Stroke as opposed to P Free Stroke?

Also when did you study with Christopher Berg? I've known him since around the early 90's when his department allowed him to do one week guitar workshops that were affordable. He's an amazing teacher and educator.

Thanks,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Bea

Post by Bea » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks, I watched the videos again. It looks I wasn't doing the P free stroke right as my thumb wasn't resting on the index but hanging. As for the second video it is hard to see the thumb.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm

I actually taught a modified Shearer P stroke. All three joints extend (roughly at the same time) and all three joints flex for the stroke in a straight line to the 'i' finger. There are exceptions to this when one must play a very rapid repeated P stroke. In this case you can shorten the follow through.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”