musicality texts

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
da23will

musicality texts

Postby da23will » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:34 am

There are many books on guitar technique but very few of these (that I have seen) devote much space to playing musically - or how to play musically.

Are there any good books you have seen which are dedicated to musicality or musical interpretation? (They don't necessarily need to be related to guitar.)

Thanks.

robert e

Re: musicality texts

Postby robert e » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:11 am

I just ran across Martha Masters' "Reaching the Next Level", which focuses on musicality in a very clear, example-based style. I haven't had much time with it, but at first glance I agree with most of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=51845

The book seems to me to illustrate solid, time-tested methods of approaching and interpreting a variety of genres, using complete short pieces to illustrate each point. About half the book directly confronts issues of musicality, while some may argue that the rest is about advanced techniques or nuances of technique; but in fact one requires the other, and such a book must address both sides, IMHO.

The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green and Timothy Gallwey focuses on the mental aspects of practice and performance, and has a lot to say about going beyond score and technique to understand, cultivate and communicate one's own responses to a piece of music.

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:54 am

da23will wrote:...Are there any good books you have seen which are dedicated to musicality...

What to Listen for in Music, Aaron Copland - many aspects of the composer's, performer's and listener's musical thought process

Making Music for the Joy of It, Stephanie Judy - gets inside the head of the adult amateur music maker with discussions on motivation, practice, performing and playing with others.

Body and Soul, Frank Conroy - a touching novel about a musically gifted young boy growing up

A Sound Approach to Teaching Instrumentalists, Stanley Schleuter - good advice on music education theory and lesson planning strategy for the teacher, all oriented towards musicality.

A Life on the Road, Julian Bream and Tony Palmer - day to day with Bream on tour in Europe, and his thoughts on his career, recordings, colleagues, instruments and audience. Musicality is everywhere in it.
Last edited by Lawler on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anastas

Postby Anastas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am

Part 3 of Shearer's method is devoted to music interpretation and performance development. He gives general information about the nature of music, it's interpretation as well as valuable practical suggestions how to prepare students for public performance.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I like CPE Bach Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard. Besides keyboard technique specifics, some very nice musical and philosophical insights.
Ralph Kirkpatrick's "Interpreting Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier - A Performer`s Discourse of Method"
Cortot's comments on Chopin Preludes are nice. Try searching masterclasses from great players at youtube, from any instrument, you will learn a lot.
I also recommend Charles Rosen books, like the Classical Style, The Romantic Generation etc.

da23will

Postby da23will » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks all, those recommendations are helpful.

Dave

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”