Quit / pause lessons?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
georgemarousi

Re: Quit / pause lessons?

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 am

Hello Rutger !

First of all, a small pause is just what you could need; I've heard that even J.Bream takes a month off of the guitar every year and goes fishing !

Secondly, I believe that - besides all the magic that is already in the guitar - maybe you have to define/redefine motives and targets; I.e, myself, I have a 2-3 year target to my degree, and also smaller targets like the upcoming music school concert ! I also have future dreams that aren't even clear yet, like create different paths and/or compositions and so on !

A change of the teacher could also help - I believe that a very good teacher is very essential in upper levels. A new and great teacher could give you new perspetives! (that does not necessarily means that the current one cannot - you could discuss with her as already mentioned )

Finally, for many reasons, I vote a big NO to being a teacher of yourself! :)

Tell us what you think regarding the above advices / ideas !

ps. let me thank your from here too for our smooth transaction! :)

Best regards,
George
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 am

I am concerned by your suggestion as it sounds like you are really developing as a player and taking a long pause is risky. I have come across many players who have stopped lessons and they never go back and their playing often plateaus. Play what you love and if you don't have the motivation to master a particular piece move on to something else.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 am

I have to add my voice to those who suggest not taking a long break. . . . it has basically put me back by YEARS, technically (

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Just to be Devil's Advocate: i have not had lessons for over a year now and still play the guitar everyday, but I am now working on the stuff I feel like doing and at my own pace without any pressure to be finished with your homework in time for the next lesson! Sometimes a break from lessons is just what you need.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Do not quit. If you are truly a musician or artist of any kind quitting is simply not an option.

Maybe it's the music. I wouldn't do Bach personally... Baroque music does not excite me very much and besides I'm allergic to transcriptions. Try something else. Or shift focus altogether for awhile; get an electric and wail on some jimi or something. But don't quit.

Disclaimer: I basically live to play guitar so my advice should maybe be taken with a grain of salt...

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 pm

My question for Rutger is what does your CG journey consist of? Do you just have lessons and play for yourself? Do you ever play in public settings? Do you compose your own music? etc.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:45 pm

I recently had to take a break from my lessons after almost 4 years staight - I took 4 months off due to moving house. I've restarted my lessons, and after about a month playing catch-up, am discovering a new enthusiasm - it really is a breath of fresh air. I recommend a short break and see how it goes from there.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions, considerations, challenges and questions. I must say this is very helpful to me.

Allow me to briefly respond to your ideas - and I apologize upfront for not responding to each of you individually.

1) The idea of planning a gig is great - it is public performances that motivate me the most, so this is surely something I will do.

2) Do something less drastic - that makes much sense. I will talk with my teacher, I am sure she will understand and perhaps we can think of ways to get the magic back again.

3) Change of repertoire - I play Bach, Froberger, Tarrega, Arcas, Mertz, Barrios, De Falla, Moreno-Torroba, Brouwer, Rodrigo, Walton, Lauro, Dyens, Merlin, Kruisbrink and Iannarelli. So quite a wide variety. I know what my teacher has in mind for future pieces, and perhaps this is where the problem is: I am not sure I want to play those pieces. So here I need to think of something different.

4) Changing teacher - I have a great teacher and I do not think I have come close to the limit of her teaching capabilities.

5) Stay away from Bach - I believe this is not the issue. I love Bach, even though it can be very challenging sometimes.

In summary I will start with items 1,2,3: plan a gig, talk to my teacher, and think of different repertoire...
No quitting.

Keep your thought coming please, they are very helpful and heartwarming!
Many thanks
Rutger

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm

:bravo: Yay!

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 pm

muirtan wrote:
Alan Green wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Does your teacher entirely determine what you get to play?
I hate students who turn up week after week with no idea of what they want to play. It's a two-way street; why should I do all the thinking?
Mmmmm. I've always. apart from 2 occasions, let my tecaher choose what I'm to learn next. He can see where I need to improve and what pieces are best for that improvemnet. Also he has introduced me to so many pieces i'd never come across. A couple of times he's said what would you like to do next and he'll get a vague answer 'something spanish' or something classical'. After all I pay him to teach me which includes enabling me to progress in the best way possible. I hope your 'why should I do all the thinking' was tongue in cheek?

We get on really well and I've been with him for over 8 years.
Tongue in cheek? On the contrary - a student who lets me do all the thinking has no vision of where they want to get to with the guitar; they simply can't be bothered even to think of a piece of music they would like to learn, or work on, or look at to see if it might be suitable for their skillset. I agree that a classical guitar student will not automatically know all the repertoire, but the problem exists in the rock guitar student body too - I might be teaching Avenged Sevenfold to someone who has an unsatisfied urge to play the Spice Girls; if he doesn't tell me I'll never know.

Against that, I teach a retired chap who comes round after golf. He routinely brings music he's been working on outside of lessons and I add exercises or pieces to bolster his skillset. I have other students who ask for particular material and bring some with them to lessons, so he's not an isolated case.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Ah, but I don't just play for/in lessons, I play in an ensemble where I have input , I also play out in public locally where I choose the pieces I play. My teacher has a generic way of teaching and I take what I have learnt and transfer to other areas of my guitar playing. So from my point of view his teaching me pieces which will move me forward and out of my comfort zone has a huge impact on my playing elsewhere.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 am

I think if you get lessons from a teacher for 6 years, you get bored. 6 years is very long for me. I think that's enough to be on your own, to choose your own repertoire and start performing, or even switch genre like fingerstyle guitar, jazz. My time with my teacher was only 6 months. It's not really formal lessons, like in universities. But i did learn a lot from him. After 6 months i'm on my own but confident that i can interpret pieces without his help. I did visited him from time to time. To ask advice for some pieces, from arranging songs and playing by ear.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Rutger !

Hope you are fine. We wait for your feedback in terms of your next moves ! Any discussion / from with your teacher ?

Best regards,
George
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Why not just play for fun? Skip the work,the focus and the need to achieve, with all the associated pressure. There must be songs that you like, play those. I like Andrea Bocelli, Duke Ellington, Dr. John, Glenn Miller even Metallica and Aerosmith, and that's what I play, because it's fun. It's not all written for cg, so what?
I also play Bach, Lara, Chopin, Tarrega but my goal is not to have a goal. If, it ain't fun you're doin' somethin' wrong.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

georgemarousi wrote:Hi Rutger !

Hope you are fine. We wait for your feedback in terms of your next moves ! Any discussion / from with your teacher ?

Best regards,
George
Hi George!

In hindsight I think I burned myself on the BWV 996 preludio.
I talked to my teacher. She was very understanding and we will look for other repertoire.

But a couple of days ago found my own remedy by learning Brouwer's Un Dia de Noviembre.
With this piece the focus is on musicality rather than technique which is a nice change.

And I will definitely look for more opportunities to perform this spring / summer.

Thanks / cheers
Rutger

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”