Quit / pause lessons?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
kloeten

Re: Quit / pause lessons?

Post by kloeten » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:15 pm

bear wrote:If, it ain't fun you're doin' somethin' wrong.
Very true. And indeed I will shift the balance a bit more towards fun instead of challenge.
Working without a goal freaks me out though! :shock:

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Wise decision, Rutger! Un dia de Noviembre is fun to play, although with one difficult stretch. You can resume pushing your limits at a later date. Conservatoire students don't have that luxury, they must push their limits all the time.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 pm

kloeten wrote:
bear wrote:If, it ain't fun you're doin' somethin' wrong.
Very true. And indeed I will shift the balance a bit more towards fun instead of challenge.
Working without a goal freaks me out though! :shock:
“The journey, Not the destination matters...” T.S. Elliot
Easy to say, sometimes difficult to do. Saves a lot of heartache and disappointment if can.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:40 am

kloeten wrote:
georgemarousi wrote:Hi Rutger !

Hope you are fine. We wait for your feedback in terms of your next moves ! Any discussion / from with your teacher ?

Best regards,
George
Hi George!

In hindsight I think I burned myself on the BWV 996 preludio.
I talked to my teacher. She was very understanding and we will look for other repertoire.

But a couple of days ago found my own remedy by learning Brouwer's Un Dia de Noviembre.
With this piece the focus is on musicality rather than technique which is a nice change.

And I will definitely look for more opportunities to perform this spring / summer.

Thanks / cheers
Rutger
Very nice news Rutger!

Keep us updated with how the new piece goes and / or upcoming performances ! :)

ps. regarding your lessons, are you on a specific plan, i.e. a specific mucis/college degree?

Best regards,
George
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 am

bear wrote:Why not just play for fun? Skip the work,the focus and the need to achieve, with all the associated pressure. There must be songs that you like, play those. I like Andrea Bocelli, Duke Ellington, Dr. John, Glenn Miller even Metallica and Aerosmith, and that's what I play, because it's fun. It's not all written for cg, so what?
I also play Bach, Lara, Chopin, Tarrega but my goal is not to have a goal. If, it ain't fun you're doin' somethin' wrong.
+1. For me that's really made it fun. I try to enjoy every thing, and if I get bored, I work on something else.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 pm

:bravo:

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 pm

To throw a couple of ideas out there.

What's the non-guitar parts of your life like? I've found when I'm putting in a lot of energy/thought/creativity into other things, sometimes that can manifest itself as reduced motivation for guitar. It's like I've only got so much of whatever that is you need to do stuff with guitar, and when there is too much demand, something goes without.

I got a mandolin. When I get a little burned out on guitar, I might fool around with that for a while. I eventually come back to the guitar, with some renewed vigor. Usually.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

:discussion: That's a personsal decision that only you can make. In college I was practicing/playing 8 or more hours per day for 4 straight years. I was burnt out and I took a long vacation of maybe two or three years total non playing time (I got married and found joy in life). However I found out I had to play or I would get into depressive bouts. Some pretty severe. So I'm back to playing but since I work full time I can't play 8 or more hours a day.

However it's nice to learn nice, easy pieces that you absolutely LOVE to play. For instance, Tarrega's Lagrima and Capriccio Arabe are pieces I just love to play. Tortoba's Segovia set of Castles of Spain is another, and Bach's First Cello Suite (the Duarte version) and Dowland's Fantasy. Then after working on the Presto section or the Allegro you can take a break and play something you love to play.

My teacher in college encouraged me in my last two years to learn what I wanted to learn, within reason. For instance I was learning Albeniz' Sevilla (Barrueco version) and it was just kicking my butt. So I moved putting into my recital Tarrega's Capriccio Arabe instead of Sevilla. (I was finishing my recital with the Berkeley Sonatina)

Also while I had to play easier pieces than what I was used to when I returned to playing, it's like riding a bike. You really don't forget how to play, but your form may be quite rusty.
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:54 am

Focusing on 'Un Dia de Noviembre' was a good choice, as it makes me relax and relieved the pressure to solve problems that I encountered in the Bach piece (fast scales, RH / LH fingerig, voicing etc).

On the other hand I like the pressure to some extent.
My teacher was kind enough to share a stack of scores and offered me to select a next piece from that.
I have selected a piece from Weiss - Tombeau sur la Mort etc to work on after this.

See how that goes...

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”