Advice on improving sight-reading

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Steve Langham

Re: Advice on improving sight-reading

Post by Steve Langham » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Paul Janssen wrote: Cool. Thanks for your comments Steve. We haven't even begun looking at aural work yet although I'm sure his teacher will start to introduce this over the coming weeks.

Are you able to say how indicative the Grade 3 sight-reading exercises in the AMEB sight-reading book are of what he will actually encounter in the exam? We have gone right back to the start of the book and have nearly finished all the Preliminary exercises. But that still leaves Grade 1 and Grade 2 to go over before we even get near a grade 3 section. Baby steps I guess!!
The exercises in the book are very indicative of what you will get. The latter exercises have you playing in 2nd and 3rd position, your son would be unlucky to get one of those in the exam. In my exam I had to sight read something in the key of F and there's a fair bit in the book at grade 2 and 3 in this key introducing the b flat note.

JohnyZuper

Re: Advice on improving sight-reading

Post by JohnyZuper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 pm

I've been using an app called Sight Reading Factory. It generates music so you can't memorize it. It has levels of difficulty and adapts the scores to the instrument you chose.

I also use my own little home made script that I hope to expand one day: http://olt.lt/muziek. It's rudimentary but easy to slide in when you have five minutes to kill.
―Michaël Samyn.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”