Sanz-arr-Delcamp Canarios in re majeur

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Sanz-arr-Delcamp Canarios in re majeur

Postby geoff-bristol » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Taking a look at this piece - most of the recordings I have found are playing the fours bar phrases straight through - but the stave marks indicate repeats - I did find a baroque guitar recital that was repeating each 4 bar phrase. Problem is the tied D on the end is sort of meaningless if the four bars repeat - accept when moving into the next four ?
Its a nice piece - although little beyond me just yet - ( just attacking Delcamp book 2 ) but good for sight reading as its a very definite melodic structure.

MarcusStrand

Re: Sanz-arr-Delcamp Canarios in re majeur

Postby MarcusStrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes most modern guitarists play it without repeats. In the original version however there are repeats every four bars that are placed right before each upbeat, meaning that you always play the same upbeat to each four bar section.

I don't have my notes now but found a small image of the canarios tablature where (if you squint a little) you can see what I mean:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jcyi3an3ejA/hqdefault.jpg

Keep at it, lovely piece!

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Postby geoff-bristol » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks - I sort of decided I would repeat what felt right ! I cannot read too well your illustrated old tab music - I'm bad enough with a modern stave !
I was trying to read that type of music re the Le Roy pieces - they are very interesting. But - frustrating, as they are almost impossible to remember, even a few bars at a time !

MarcusStrand

Postby MarcusStrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

It's only the double repeat lines you really need to see, two small vertical lines at the end of each four bar section. But deciding yourself is always best!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”