Practicing by playing along with music - helpful, common?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Victor2016

Re: Practicing by playing along with music - helpful, common?

Postby Victor2016 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for sharing about Valentina Lisitsa. It is interesting to note that towards the end of the video, after playing along with YT and then working out difficult parts, she plays for some time with a metronome.

What encourages me to play with a metronome, among other things, is the story of the first musician in the Bach family related by J.S. Bach, "Veit Bach, a white-bread baker in Hungary, in the 16th century was compelled to escape from Hungary because of his Lutheran faith. After converting his property into money, as far as this could be done, he went to Germany, and finding security for his religion in Thuringia, settled at Wechmar near Gotha, and continued his trade there. What he most delighted in was his little cittern which he used to take with him to work to play while the mill was grinding. A pretty noise the pair of them must have made! However, it taught him to keep time, and that apparently is how music first came into our family."

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 am

Yes, I at times don't know how a piece is supposed to sound, so I get into YouTube and watch a video to hear and see how the piece is supposed to sound!

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 am

I agree with RichardUno, i want to feel the music also.

It's not common in classical guitar because most of us learn by the score. We don't learn by ear, we always use sheet music. My teacher also play along with the music, classical guitar and jazz. He learned the entire solo guitar album of Earl Klugh just by listening, no tabs whatsoever, and he only use a cassette player. To my dismay he did not write it on tabs lol.

Thanks for sharing the video of Valentina Lisitsa.

choctawchas

Postby choctawchas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 pm

I use Musescore for rehearsing pieces, duets and ensemble commitments. it is much more flexible in terms of speed and looping
plus I can create my own dynamic and tempo variations.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”