Practicing by playing along with music - helpful, common?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Victor2016

Re: Practicing by playing along with music - helpful, common?

Post by Victor2016 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for sharing about Valentina Lisitsa. It is interesting to note that towards the end of the video, after playing along with YT and then working out difficult parts, she plays for some time with a metronome.

What encourages me to play with a metronome, among other things, is the story of the first musician in the Bach family related by J.S. Bach, "Veit Bach, a white-bread baker in Hungary, in the 16th century was compelled to escape from Hungary because of his Lutheran faith. After converting his property into money, as far as this could be done, he went to Germany, and finding security for his religion in Thuringia, settled at Wechmar near Gotha, and continued his trade there. What he most delighted in was his little cittern which he used to take with him to work to play while the mill was grinding. A pretty noise the pair of them must have made! However, it taught him to keep time, and that apparently is how music first came into our family."
2015 Alhambra 5p

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 am

Yes, I at times don't know how a piece is supposed to sound, so I get into YouTube and watch a video to hear and see how the piece is supposed to sound!

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 am

I agree with RichardUno, i want to feel the music also.

It's not common in classical guitar because most of us learn by the score. We don't learn by ear, we always use sheet music. My teacher also play along with the music, classical guitar and jazz. He learned the entire solo guitar album of Earl Klugh just by listening, no tabs whatsoever, and he only use a cassette player. To my dismay he did not write it on tabs lol.

Thanks for sharing the video of Valentina Lisitsa.

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 pm

I use Musescore for rehearsing pieces, duets and ensemble commitments. it is much more flexible in terms of speed and looping
plus I can create my own dynamic and tempo variations.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Everyone is different; I always play electric guitar with the record; you kind of have to since it's an ensemble. I can honestly say I have never played along with a classical record, but if you are learning by yourself I really don't see the harm in it. You will end up playing like someone though. I can see a benefit for learning concertos this way however; then transition to playing with a piano player for your own interpretation.

However when learning something like that you can't really slow it down; I guess you could in today's time with a wave file player and play it back at a different speed while maintaining pitch (several programs are out there) it would be more beneficial to just learn the piece without a record and use a metronome to keep the tempo.

Whatever helps you then do that! That's what I say!
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I have done it and at times recommend my students do it. It is a tool that can work great for some things. In particular, if you have issues with tempo or rhythm it might be a great way to work on these (provided you choose your recordings wisely.) I find students will often struggle with continuity, slowing down or pausing where they have a technical or memory issue. Playing with a recording forces you to keep moving (or exposes the places where you can't) It can help a lot here.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Bill B wrote: Playing with a recording forces you to keep moving (or exposes the places where you can't) It can help a lot here.
You could also say practicing with a metronome would do the same thing, but I do see your point. It is more fun to play with a recording I would say.
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 am

If playing along with someone else recording would make you play like them. After all the hours and years, how come i still can't play like Julian Bream and John WIlliams hehe.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

RectifiedGTRz wrote:
Bill B wrote: Playing with a recording forces you to keep moving (or exposes the places where you can't) It can help a lot here.
You could also say practicing with a metronome would do the same thing, but I do see your point. It is more fun to play with a recording I would say.
Yes of course if you are playing something where the tempo is constant the metronome will do it to. Theater music often changes abruptly and is easier to practice with a recording. Likewise concertos. One of my students performed the Villa Lobos concerto recently and practicing with recordings was a big help in the preparation.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Salvador wrote:If playing along with someone else recording would make you play like them. After all the hours and years, how come i still can't play like Julian Bream and John WIlliams hehe.
+1
Exactly!!

Playing along with someone is instructional, not transformational.

I played along with Jason Vieaux in Julia Florida....my interpretation does not sound at all like his. I learned something about his phrasing from playing with him and how it differed from mine. Then I looked closely at mine and made more musical decisions. In any case, each of us has our own interpretation, hears the piece, and connects with it in a different way.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm

I think it is instructional, it enhance your musical perception and guitar control skills. But you can't simply try to play in a similar way, because this will make you lazy. What you must do is to reproduce the most exact copy you can. Record yourself and play both recordings (you and the one you are copying) to a friend, if he can't tell which one is yours, then you are done. If you are able to do this, I am sure you are smart enough to play your own way when you want to.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:31 pm

lagartija wrote:
Salvador wrote:If playing along with someone else recording would make you play like them. After all the hours and years, how come i still can't play like Julian Bream and John WIlliams hehe.
+1
Exactly!!

Playing along with someone is instructional, not transformational.

I played along with Jason Vieaux in Julia Florida....my interpretation does not sound at all like his. I learned something about his phrasing from playing with him and how it differed from mine. Then I looked closely at mine and made more musical decisions. In any case, each of us has our own interpretation, hears the piece, and connects with it in a different way.
Yes that's what i am trying to say, instructional. You can understand and feel the phrasing more if you play along than by just listening to their recordings. For the interpretation it will always sound different because we think differently, our approach is different. Example Adelita and Lagrima, there are so many videos of them but they don't sound and played the same.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”