Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:31 pm

scottszone wrote:Up or down stream, I consider you a friend Mark (and everyone else on this forum).
Lol. I meant my enemies - if I live upstream. I don't plan to be floating past anyone any time soon.

Soundminer wrote:bit slow..but that was on purpose
Hmm ... I play it even more slowly ... also on purpose.

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 pm

doing things on purpose....that would be the goal!

Being in control

Understanding and being able to explain what gives control while plucking ( please scott don't reply :))

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
scottszone wrote:Up or down stream, I consider you a friend Mark (and everyone else on this forum).
Lol. I meant my enemies - if I live upstream. I don't plan to be floating past anyone any time soon.

Ha! Even better
Soundminer wrote:bit slow..but that was on purpose
Hmm ... I play it even more slowly ... also on purpose.
“The slow arrow of beauty. The most noble kind of beauty is that which does not carry us away suddenly, whose attacks are not violent or intoxicating (this kind easily awakens disgust), but rather the kind of beauty which infiltrates slowly, which we carry along with us almost unnoticed, and meet up with again in dreams; finally, after it has for a long time lain modestly in our heart, it takes complete possession of us, filling our eyes with tears, our hearts with longing. What do we long for when we see beauty? To be beautiful. We think much happiness must be connected with it. But that is an error.” ~Nietzsche

I think Nietzsche is hinting at the pathos inherent in beauty and the struggle to overcome it through art. A slow tempo is a very revealing and intimate interpretation for Romanza I dare say.

Remember folks, that right hand technique is ultimately in service to communicate the breadth and depth of human emotions. As an end in itself, it is pointless.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Soundminer wrote:Gentlemen..gentlemen, cmon now. :wink:

I thought that sounded great scottzone, bit slow..but that was on purpose

ever meet SRV since you're from Austin? Huge fan myself..

In all fairness...posting what you mean by actually playing is of course the best way to go forth in this thread.
So anyone who does has my respect. Never mind playing virtuoso..that's not the direct topic subject
Thanks for the support Soundminer. Wish I could say I met SRV, but have met many of his clones shuffling for beer on 6th street LOL

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Good form, all around, in getting back to a non-confrontational discussion. 8)

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 am

Without tension on the string, there is only silence :)

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm

guit-box wrote:I'm more interested in studying world class concert guitarists and trying to glean from those players what their fingers are doing. Of course this is just one tool to learn from, but I much prefer that to listening to someone on delcamp who might appear to be knowledgeable just because they are boastful. If the people on this forum (I include myself) were great players, then we'd be out there doing it and not spending time talking about it on a forum with other amateur and intermediate level players. Remember, folks ,when you're giving someone here the benefit of the doubt, you have no idea if they can even play or not. They might be a 10 year old, or an electric guitarist, or not even be able to play Romanza without dropping a note on every measure. Unless you can be in the same room with a teacher, and they can demonstrate what they are teaching, you just have no idea what level that person is speaking from. That is why I believe this is the perfect outlet for studying the techniques of great players, we know who we are talking about and what they can do. It doesn't replace a good teacher for a beginner or intermediate player, but I don't believe any of these right hand technique topics are really for beginners, they're more for serious and advanced players.
Guit-box,

While I wholeheartedly agree with you when you suggest that we must be cautious of our sources on this site (as with any website), I feel that your statement is not entirely fair. I've come to learn that there are many knowledgeable guitarists on this site and many of them are "out there doing it" as performers and teachers. There are, at the very least, some players here who have advanced beyond the "intermediate" level. I also feel confident in saying that there are some who have studied directly with world class guitarists and are more than capable of communicating the information they gleaned from those studies. Lastly, though I think there is great value in studying the technique of world class musicians, one does not need to be a world class musician to be an effective teacher. It is possible to learn a lot about technique from strong players who fall short of being considered world-class.

Don't get me wrong--I am very aware of the challenges in sifting through the boasters and those who provide quality posts, but I am confident in saying that there has been much top-notch information provided by members on this site.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”