Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Robbie Flamerock

Re: Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Scott zone, that's absurd! There are many ways to do that that do not work efficiently.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Robbie Flamerock wrote:Scott zone, that's absurd! There are many ways to do that that do not work efficiently.
experience is the best teacher
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

Robbie Flamerock

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:35 pm

One bit of knowledge can eliminate years of failure, however!

Robbie Flamerock

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Robbie Flamerock wrote:One bit of knowledge can eliminate years of failure, however!
Also, why isn't other people's experience valuable as well? No man is an islandM

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:38 am

Every student will pluck slightly differently, as everyone walks with their own unique gait. Best education is to demonstrate directly for them and describe your simple movements to the student in everyday language, and assign exercises specific to their needs. If you can't do that, you're an autocrat, not a teacher.

There is no one size fits all academic answer that gets results. If right hand technique can't be described in simple language and more importantly demonstrated directly it is of no use except to indulge the would be teacher.

There are many professional classical guitarists and teachers with great right hand technique that managed to develop it without perfect descriptors or dissertation level explanations. Explain that.
Last edited by scottszone on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:48 am

Robbie Flamerock wrote:Scott zone, that's absurd! There are many ways to do that that do not work efficiently.
In simple terms, "pluck string, repeat" is exactly what is happening. The student must feel it is in their grasp and something that even they, with limited skills, knowledge, and ability can manage. If the teacher insists on reciting a dissertation on the simple act of plucking the string it will more often than not lead to confusion, helplessness, and discouragement. Efficiency, coordination, and control are not immediate no matter how specific the descriptors, it is developed through dedicated, determined, and focused practice over a significant amount of time.

The teacher must always put themselves in each students shoes and speak on their level in language they can relate to, understand, and put into practice, anything less is self-defeating and yes absurd. I realize some want the perfect descriptor, but it is really beside the point.
Last edited by scottszone on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 am

Robbie Flamerock wrote:
Robbie Flamerock wrote:One bit of knowledge can eliminate years of failure, however!
Also, why isn't other people's experience valuable as well? No man is an islandM
For a teacher, their students experience is what ultimately matters.

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25 am

deleted
Last edited by Soundminer on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 am

deleted

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 am

scottszone wrote:
In simple terms, "pluck string, repeat" is exactly what is happening. The student must feel it is in their grasp and something that even they, with limited skills, knowledge, and ability can manage. If the teacher insists on reciting a dissertation on the simple act of plucking the string it will more often than not lead to confusion, helplessness, and discouragement. Efficiency, coordination, and control are not immediate no matter how specific the descriptors, it is developed through dedicated, determined, and focused practice over a significant amount of time.

The teacher must always put themselves in each students shoes and speak on their level in language they can relate to, understand, and put into practice, anything less is self-defeating and yes absurd. I realize some want the perfect descriptor, but it is really beside the point.

you are indeed captain obvious and you cannot discern between different focus points.
We all know how you feel by now, you made your point. about ten times.
Now please sir, I would like to ask you once again to stay out this thread.

If you keep repeating yourself here that would be nothing less then absurd. Thank you

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:31 am

Of course it can and don't let anyone tell you different!

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening:

When I have to take a test I don't bother reading the questions, I just write down "this is a stupid question" and then go on to talk about what I think is important. lol
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:08 pm

guit-box wrote:Re: Right hand technique~what REALLY is happening:

When I have to take a test I don't bother reading the questions, I just write down "this is a stupid question" and then go on to talk about what I think is important. lol
If the simply obvious offends you, you may want to question your motives. A rare few may find it simply instructional and/or amusing.

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Soundminer wrote:
scottszone wrote:

you are indeed captain obvious and you cannot discern between different focus points.
We all know how you feel by now, you made your point. about ten times.
Now please sir, I would like to ask you once again to stay out this thread.

If you keep repeating yourself here that would be nothing less then absurd. Thank you
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
― Albert Einstein

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

If you're gluten intolerant, don't eat lunch at a bakery and then complain to all the other guests about your tummy ache.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”