What is happening with respect to the joints in a effective stroke will occur with the correct approach. How does one do

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: What is happening with respect to the joints in a effective stroke will occur with the correct approach. How does on

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Luis_Br wrote:...but one thing does not mean the other is unimportant.
True enough. However discussions are almost always about technique, rarely about music. I'm just balancing things a bit. :wink:

bensonm

Re: What is happening with respect to the joints in a effective stroke will occur with the correct approach. How does on

Post by bensonm » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:08 pm

The OP's question seems to assume there is only one way to achieve an effective free stroke. I doubt this is the case. Consider successful tennis players and golfers. No two of them produce their strokes identically. There are always slight differences in body alignment and movement but at the end they achieve (at least some of the time) a good result, or a good shot in these cases. Since playing the guitar is inevitably a physical activity, it is not entirely different from sports. So, I suspect there are lots of different ways of producing an effective free stroke depending on the result you want to achieve.
Michael L. Benson
Cervantes Rodriguez Concert
Aria AC60

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Luis_Br wrote:I think both things, music and technical aspects are important and they complement each other. Some people can fix their RH or whatever simply through playing and testing alone.
Yeah I think this and the other similar threads are very useful as long as they are kept in perspective.
Luis_Br wrote:The correct approach, IMO, is to avoid thinking which joints should move. Think how fingertip should move and its tactile sensations, while keeping an overall relaxed body. When you try to catch a glass on the table, if you think which individual muscles you should move, shoulder, arm or wrist, you won't catch the glass. You just think on the trajectory of the hand, the body takes care of the rest.
There seems to be a kind of affinity between Bonpensiere's thinking about the piano, the Alexander Technique, and Havas's thinking about the violin. Is this where you are coming from? I bought "A New Approach to Violin Playing" to find out more about this approach but (strangely enough) it is very specific to the violin, so wasn't really much help. Bonpensiere's book is a bit trippy and not exactly readable, but I feel there is a lot of value in some of the underlying ideas.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Luis_Br wrote:...but one thing does not mean the other is unimportant.
True enough. However discussions are almost always about technique, rarely about music. I'm just balancing things a bit. :wink:
I agree, maybe because technique is more objective and easier to discuss than about music. Technical question already generate such hot discussions, those more subjective musical discussions are even worse, just remember those topics on Segovia, Fisk etc.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”