What as your experience been witha Ida presti style right hand technique?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
rjc7313

What as your experience been witha Ida presti style right hand technique?

Post by rjc7313 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:56 pm

[goto=][/goto]
About month ago I came across the Alice Artzt's videos on YouTube explaining Ida presti's right hand technique. I decided to give it try for a bit.

My tremelo improved tremendously(before it didn't sound anything like tremelo), however a lot of of pieces especially with arpegios sound very messy and nonsmooth, also find it much harder to do contrasting tones and dynamics.

I was wondering of there was anyone here who has used this technique for an extended period of time and what was your experience, was it an improvement? Or is it just gimmick by someone trying to sell online classes?

guit-box

Re: What as your experience been witha Ida presti style right hand technique?

Post by guit-box » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:58 pm

An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Luis_Br

Re: What as your experience been witha Ida presti style right hand technique?

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:45 am

I tried for a few months. I think my sound from i,m,a got better after that, but I gave up because I felt "a" finger became short and didn't like the thumb sound. I prefer a more frontal thumb. It is difficult to learn a technique with few references and no teacher nearby.
I don't see reasons for less dynamic or sound control. Sound is a bit different because you attack from the other side of the finger, but overall control of sound or dynamic is pretty much the same. I would think that probably your tremolo improvement was more related to breaking an addicted pattern with the change rather than "Presti's technique" itself.

Here other great players that use the technique:
Gerard Abiton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht6710aauo
Evangelos Assimakopoulos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOB88vnPMrA

If one of those or Alice were near here, I would certainly try a few lessons with some of them.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”