Segovia's blazing fast scale runs?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
glassynails

Segovia's blazing fast scale runs?

Post by glassynails » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:49 pm

How did Segovia pull off the runs in, for example, Torroba's Serenata Burlesca opening E scale? Wow, that's so smooth. My fingers can't move that fast! Even the people I see play it on YT can't duplicate the 'fluidity' of Segovia's run. Was there any recording trickery going on here or did Segovia just have fast fingers?

Maybe if I practice scales for 8 hours a day like him ..... :lol:
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

David Norton

Re: Segovia's blazing fast scale runs?

Post by David Norton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:24 pm

glassynails wrote:How did Segovia pull off the runs in, for example, Torroba's Serenata Burlesca opening E scale?
You nailed it. Part-time hobbyist players like you and I, who have day jobs and other non-CG obligations, are never going to acquire that sort of skill with the constraints of limited practice time.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 pm

David_Norton wrote:
glassynails wrote:How did Segovia pull off the runs in, for example, Torroba's Serenata Burlesca opening E scale?
You nailed it. Part-time hobbyist players like you and I, who have day jobs and other non-CG obligations, are never going to acquire that sort of skill with the constraints of limited practice time.
Yeah, but if all I do is practice that particular scale run over and over all weekend David ....... who knows! :lol:

Not to toot my own horn, but I think I'm not bad for a 'part time hobbyist player'. 8)
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm

It is not very fast objectively. I think the run itself is around 4 x 140bpm (16ths at 140bpm per quarter note); after that the piece gets a bit slower at around 126bpm. What makes it easier is that it is actually comprised of 3 short runs - 8 notes in each - rather than a longer continuous run of 20-30 notes at that tempo. Burst speed is easier than sustained speed. On the other hand, what makes this run harder is that it ascends (descending runs are easier).

For comparison, top flamenco guitarists can probably do up to twice that speed, for sure as burst speed (as in this run).

EDIT: Oops, forgot to include a link to the Segovia video I was basing the estimates on:

Youtube
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 am

I think a better example of what you're talking about is the ascending/descending scale at the end of the Chaconne. I've never heard anyone else play that with such speed and fluidity.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 am

Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”