Best progressive etudes?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Vinicius Pessoa

Re: Best progressive etudes?

Post by Vinicius Pessoa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Jason Hensley wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm
I am wanting to know some opinions on the "best" progressive etudes. I know there are a few. I was going to go with Carcassi's 25 Etudes and actually started on the first Etude and am about halfway through it. I wanted to see some opinions first on if there are any progressive etudes that are better. Any and all information is welcome thank you.
I think that Julio Sagreras etudes are the most progressive etudes for the classical technique. There´s 6 or more books with lots of etudes, each one covering a specific technique. The etudes are in a waltz style with some flamenco influence.

The classics like Sor, Carulli, Giuliani and Carcassi are good but they are overly romantic, after a while they can sound a little repetitive.

Most importantly, don´t stick too much with etudes. Choose some pieces and practice them everyday, play some music from other styles like jazz, flamenco, blues, rock, folk,celtic etc, this will give you a sense of melody and harmony and you will be able to play and improvise in any given style.

The problem with classical trained musicians is that they can play any difficult piece but if you ask for some popular music or improvisation they just go blank, always try to be as eclectic as possible

Patona

Post by Patona » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

I´am playing a mixed bunch from old and young excercises. For the old one I play from Hubert Käppels book "Die 44 wichtigsten Gitarrenetüden für die Mittelstufe". From the new one I play Brower and H.V. Lobbos. I`am thinking for a good classic education are the old one`s indispensable. They reflect the requirements of the classical guitar literatur. The old and the new one give us a nice bunch with varied duties. It does not hurt to get better.
"Don’t try to calm the ocean. Learn to swim between the waves."

Boguslav Teryks Doubletop. spruce-cedar
Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

rjc7313

Post by rjc7313 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Sor are certainly some of the most beautiful ones but you should be at least a grade 6 before starting them. The Carcasssi studies are more suitable for beginners(the first study is the hardest to play correctly). If you're a complete beginner obviously something more elementary like the Carulli studies are great.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”