Half Barre

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
joachim33

Half Barre

Post by joachim33 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 pm

I am learning a piece full of 1/2 Barre cords. Never done those before (I do full Barre). Is a half Barre strictly string 1 to 3 or can it depending on situation mean string 1-2 and at a different place string 1 - 4? Or does that depend who arranged/edited the fingerlings? If it is strictly, then I am list and don't understand it.

Ta
Joachim

oski79

Re: Half Barre

Post by oski79 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:50 pm

"Half" barre is kind of a misnomer, since it could apply to any number of strings. Sometimes in notation you'll see "4/6" or "5/6" or the like, indicating how many strings to barre. Players often like the tip of their finger to be on the lowest string to be played, if at all possible, for instance on the 5th string B, second fret. I know it makes me feel more secure of a good sound.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 am

Hi
Thanks. So it depends - which means I have to use my judgement.

I am struggling getting a 4 string barre buzz free.

How do string tension and this work together. The higher the tension the harder it gets?

J.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun May 07, 2017 12:12 pm

You may find when doing partial (e.g. "half") bars, it helps to keep the middle knuckle of your finger 'up' relative to the fingerboard. It helps press the finger down towards the fingerboard, rather than trying to pull it down from below.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Stephen - Thanks. For the bar in question, the barre needs to press strings 1,2 and 4. 3 is Al-Saud fretted. The bass tone is on 4 and needs to "ring" the entire bar. I am really struggling with the 2nd string. It buzzes like hell. Are you suggesting, I should try to lift the base segment to get the middle segment down?

Best wishes
Joachim

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:31 pm
posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=1198347#
Stephen - Thanks. For the bar in question, the barre needs to press strings 1,2 and 4. 3 is Al-Saud fretted. The bass tone is on 4 and needs to "ring" the entire bar. I am really struggling with the 2nd string. It buzzes like hell. Are you suggesting, I should try to lift the base segment to get the middle segment down?
Sorry, I don't understand "Al-Saud fretted" :oops:

Its really tricky of course without seeing your hand in person. If the B string is buzzing it sounds on the face of it like your finger is lifting away there. Check where your second knuckle is, imagine your fingerboard was horizontal with the floor, is it above it or below?
bar pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Another good tip is to use the weight of your arm do the work, as much as is possible, rather than apply a lot of pressure between your "i" finger and the thumb behind the neck. That tension will do more harm than good.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for replying.
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 pm
joachim33 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:31 pm
posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=1198347#
Sorry, I don't understand "Al-Saud fretted" :oops:
Neither me.
I meant "always fretted". I assume the spelling correction went bananas.

Its really tricky of course without seeing your hand in person. If the B string is buzzing it sounds on the face of it like your finger is lifting away there. Check where your second knuckle is, imagine your fingerboard was horizontal with the floor, is it above it or below?

bar pic.jpg
The B often ends up under the joint between 1st and second segment. In your picture you have 3 strings. The score gives a 1/2 Barre - I currently figure what I need is actually a 4/6 Barre - which is why I have to use at least two segments- hence the joint comes in and the trouble starts.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:01 pm

oski79 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 2:42 pm
Another good tip is to use the weight of your arm do the work, as much as is possible, rather than apply a lot of pressure between your "i" finger and the thumb behind the neck. That tension will do more harm than good.
Thanks for the reminder. I saw Gohar Vardanyan's video on full Barre. She says similar things. Just pressing seems not the way to go.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks for the inputs. Currently it seems to me - it is a matter of practice as so often on the guitar. I rekindled guitar playing last autumn and ran across many techniques I hadn't done before. The first time it is always "impossible, I can not do this"

Thanks again
Joachim

Vasco Passeira

Post by Vasco Passeira » Thu May 11, 2017 7:44 am

I did like the ring of the "Al-Saud" expression and I really think we should stick to it.
I propose we baptize something with it :)

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”