To Dot or Not!!

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jack Douglas

To Dot or Not!!

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 pm

I've always had a 7th fret dot installed on every guitar I've owned and never thought much about it. It seemed logical to have that visual indicator of location. At some point I realized I didn't really depend on the fret marker and just landed at that location by feel.
Fast forward to my current guitar. I started day one with it believing I didn't need the 7th fret marker and Also am reluctant to resort to depending again on the dot. But, I'm working on pieces that require a quick landing at that location.
So, I'm on the fence. Have any of you worked out technique to practice landing correctly without the visual of the fret marker? Any of you fellow Hauser owners use fret dots? I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks very much..
:merci:
Hauser III 2014!

Philosopherguy

Re: To Dot or Not!!

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat May 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I put a dot of whiteout on the neck where the dot would go for the 7th fret. It comes off easily when you don't want it. Every now and then it wears off unintentionally and I just reapply. It's not a lot of work and I find it helps when I am learning pieces. When I know a piece, I don't rely on anything. But, when you are working through a piece, I find it helps.

My opinion..

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Irrespective of the price of the guitar, I would put a dot at the 7th fret. My instructor a few years ago told a funny story about a pro who said he didn't need a dot of course, and then promptly missed a big jump in a live performance. I just use the "kling-on" large dots, easily removable, nothing permanent, don't fall off all the time either.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 pm

As long as you are "on the fence" go for the fret marker dots.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 27, 2017 11:45 pm

oc chuck wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 pm
As long as you are "on the fence" go for the fret marker dots.
I think I'll look for a tiny piece of gold wire. It's subtle and elegant.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Hauser III 2014!

bear

Post by bear » Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 am

I have a dot on 7 on my 10 string. My 6's have dots on 7 or 5 and 7. My hollow body archtop has so many dots, I keep getting lost. I prefer just the 7.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun May 28, 2017 9:55 am

I recently had dots put on my son's guitar at the suggestion of his teacher. We went for the dots on 3,5,7,9 & 12 similar to what he was used to with his steel string and electric guitars. I'm finding it so easy to play that I'm seriously considering adding dots to my guitar too. My only concern is whether the permanent dots will decrease the value of the guitar?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 am

Jack, I'd get a woodworking punch and knock a little dent into the side of your neck at the seventh fret. You'd never mistake your guitar for any other Hauser in future. It would also have the benefit of being permanent. :)

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun May 28, 2017 11:54 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 am
Jack, I'd get a woodworking punch and knock a little dent into the side of your neck at the seventh fret. You'd never mistake your guitar for any other Hauser in future. It would also have the benefit of being permanent. :)
Peter, it's a good thing I didn't read your suggestion after finishing my second martini last evening else I would have a regrettable dent in the guitar's neck and the thought while sipping my morning espresso, 'What was I Thinking!!??'
:lol:
Hauser III 2014!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun May 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Even better than a dent on the side of the fretboard are little cuts or just dents on the back of the neck a 5,7,9 optionally also 3. Would definitely add value to your Hauser. Peter could do it on some of his guitars too.

I at some point read about a professional guitarist who had the back of the guitar's neck marked so he could feel it with his thumb. Can't remember where I read it.

As for a marker, apart from whiteout, self adhesive paper dots are another easily reversible option. That is what my teacher uses.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't have dots in my luthier guitars, I have only in an old Yamaha I use eventually when traveling around.
Sometimes I look at my hand or even with mirror to check some positioning in the beginning of practice, but I quickly avoid looking at hands. I like practicing at night with lights off and I consider a piece ready when I can play it securely without ever looking at the guitar.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun May 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm
I don't have dots in my luthier guitars, I have only in an old Yamaha I use eventually when traveling around.
Sometimes I look at my hand or even with mirror to check some positioning in the beginning of practice, but I quickly avoid looking at hands. I like practicing at night with lights off and I consider a piece ready when I can play it securely without ever looking at the guitar.
Hi Luis,
Your advice is the best yet!! Thanks!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sun May 28, 2017 3:11 pm

I have a dot on 7 on some of my guitars and on 5 and 9 on others.
I'm not a pro so anything that can help me play better is welcome.
Indeed, same would apply if I was a pro.
I can never see what the big deal is about. Is not having dots some kind of macho thing (as far as "macho" can be applied to nylon guitar playing...)?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I have no trouble finding the 7th fret playing in the dark at home. It can be a different matter on a stage where you may have bright lights shining in your eyes and adrenaline rushing your system. That is now a few years ago, but I do remember it...Anyway, I find the small installed dot often too small so I like the bigger, self-adhesive paper dots. Why leave it to chance if there is no downside?

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun May 28, 2017 5:04 pm

I like to have a marker at the 7th fret, the blue dots from Rosette Products are great....and easily reversible.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”