Butterfingers

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rasputin

Butterfingers

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 pm

I read somewhere that putting oil or something on your fingers is a good way to improve your technique. I'm not totally sure whether it goes on the LH or the RH - maybe both. I don't think it was 1 April. Does anyone know what this is supposed to do for you? My strings are about done so it might be a good time to try it.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Butterfingers

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 pm

This is probably the use on RH of (hope you're not squeamish) nose and/or forehead grease. Helps fingertips glide through the stroke.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes, surely RH.

LH: hey why not to soften callouses but not before playing as the neck & frets will surely get dirty over time.

RH: absolutely! Filing your nail is good (1000 grit), polishing them is great (1600), finishing touch with nail cream (or hand cream) gives a perfect tone. Not mentioning the nourishing aspect which over time is beneficial.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Yes, thanks. I've found the original exchange now:
Funny thing is, when i started using [vaseline] i found it really helped, so i used more and more of it. Eventually one time i ended up with big lumps of it on the strings which made a terrible twanging sound. So i seriously cut down on my vaseline habit at that point.

What i found, though, was that the lubrication making my fingers slip off one string onto the next in picado changed my technique a little bit, made me feel like i needed to tense my hand/s and fingers less, and i tried to develop that further without the vaseline.
I think this might be an important insight. I had the same experience of trying it and needing quite a bit at the beginning, then eventually hardly using any at all - all while I removed a lot of excess tension and increased speed and ease of execution.

It didn't occur to me that the lubrication itself must have corrected and improved my technique. But this makes sense.
So same idea but as a temporary thing to improve technique.

TheRoadGoesOn4Ever

Post by TheRoadGoesOn4Ever » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:05 pm

A little Vaseline will help the RH "glide" through the strings more naturally. Using a VERY thin film of it usually does the trick. As far as the LH: I've noticed that a TINY bit of Vaseline or Hemp / Almond oil can soften up callouses a bit, making things such as slurs / trills more liquid.
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

craigh

Post by craigh » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 am

A little Vaseline will help the RH "glide" through the strings more naturally. Using a VERY thin film of it usually does the trick. As far as the LH: I've noticed that a TINY bit of Vaseline or Hemp / Almond oil can soften up callouses a bit, making things such as slurs / trills more liquid.
I just played the most humid gig of my life today and i tried the Vaseline trick since my fingertips get really really sticky . Just a dab on my right and left hand fingers completely cured that ! They were gliding across the strings ! I think it may really help out in any situation ... highly recommended !

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:03 am

Rubbing a little oil from the forehead or bridge of the nose on the RH fingertips is an old trick, still in common use. Just a few short weeks ago I saw David Russell do it at a recital in Pasadena. It keeps the fingers from getting tacky and sticking to the strings if your hands are clammy, sticky or sweaty.

For the left hand, the problem is that if the fingertips are too oily, they tend to slip off the strings. I think it's more common to treat the strings -- special wiping cloths, Fast Fret, etc. -- instead of treating the LH fingertips.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”