Am i plucking the string too low?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
SegundaLeyDeNewton

Am i plucking the string too low?

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 am

Sometimes as i play, i feel like when i´m doing free strokes, the strings feel "hard" or sticky when i pluck them. i pluck the string like 3 mm below the nail, (in a front side view). Some videos and books says that you have to stroke the string in the exact part where the flesh and the nails meet. I tried it but and it felt great , not so much stickiness , but i also felt like i was putting a lot of effort trying to get that little spot of the finger in every pluck, like just "scratching" the guitar, with a very small surface of contact
Do you also think that the exact point to pluck a string is with that small part? If the answer is yes, well, i will be training to not feel unconfortable like i´m just "scratching" my guitar , but if the answer is no, maybe my hands are very dry and i need to use the old trick of the forehead sweat every time :lol:

Thanks for your opinions and sorry if i made any mistake in my english.

Rasputin

Re: Am i plucking the string too low?

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 pm

There are lots of slow-motion videos of concert guitarists' right hands in another thread - you can find it easily from the Guitar technique subforum. Maybe they'd help answer your question.

I am no teacher but since nobody else has replied I will chip in:

I think the standard approach is that the point of contact should be on the flesh just below the nail. That is the spot I go for, and my teacher has never pulled me up on it. It doesn't feel to me like just scratching at the string because the string is pressed down first. It sounds to me as if you might be missing this part of the stroke.

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Planting is a good technique to help you with proper feel and accuracy. Put i,m,a on the g,b,and e string. Have them there ahead of time, then pluck. Lots of info on planting. Google it, go to Youtube. Scott Tennant I think covers it in Pumping Nylon. Planting, check it out.

SegundaLeyDeNewton

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 pm
There are lots of slow-motion videos of concert guitarists' right hands in another thread - you can find it easily from the Guitar technique subforum. Maybe they'd help answer your question.

I am no teacher but since nobody else has replied I will chip in:

I think the standard approach is that the point of contact should be on the flesh just below the nail. That is the spot I go for, and my teacher has never pulled me up on it. It doesn't feel to me like just scratching at the string because the string is pressed down first. It sounds to me as if you might be missing this part of the stroke.
Is funny how just a little thing can change your technique tremendously. I followed your advice to press down the string first, (i was just putting my fingers over the strings and plucking it) and it felt a lot lot better! thanks for this little but very useful advice

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 pm

SegundaLeyDeNewton wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 pm
I followed your advice to press down the string first, (i was just putting my fingers over the strings and plucking it) and it felt a lot lot better!
Glad to have been of help. I guess what you are feeling there is the TerceraLeyDeNewton 8)

SegundaLeyDeNewton

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 pm

HAHAHAHA sí señor, physics applied at their max expression

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”