The importance of a good private instructor

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ddray

Re: The importance of a good private instructor

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 pm

kirolak wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

So, I do think we all need teachers, up to a certain point/financial disaster! I would love a good teacher now, but I have to put myself second, as I have a child at school.
Well there you go. I'd love to have a top-flight teacher as well, along with a $10k guitar with obscenely expensive strings, but it just ain't happenin'. And considering I just do it for enjoyment, it's not such a terrible loss.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Me, too. . I'll never be A Guitarist now, but. . . .I can love it, as well as hate myself for imperfections, & maybe in my next life it will all pay off. :)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:54 pm

ddray wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 pm
kirolak wrote:

So, I do think we all need teachers, up to a certain point/financial disaster! I would love a good teacher now, but I have to put myself second, as I have a child at school.
Well there you go. I'd love to have a top-flight teacher as well, along with a $10k guitar with obscenely expensive strings, but it just ain't happenin'. And considering I just do it for enjoyment, it's not such a terrible loss.
Well...
most of my music I composed and recorded on a very good guitar which cost me nothing and have very small value if someone will try to sell it :)
strings? just general d'addario.
Teacher? mostly myself.
If someone will want it a lot and will have something to say - he will do it no matter what kind of guitar, strings or teacher.
But he should be ready to work very hard and to sacrifice many many things considerable valuable in life by most, to get to his music goals...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:56 pm

kirolak wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm
Me, too. . I'll never be A Guitarist now, but. . . .I can love it, as well as hate myself for imperfections, & maybe in my next life it will all pay off. :)
nobody is perfect...
humans are humans...
but hard work and love could bring anybody very far!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:49 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:56 pm
kirolak wrote:
nobody is perfect...
humans are humans...
+1

It all depends on what you wish to accomplish. You could work hard and play well enough to Bring a bit of respite to someone who is in pain (play at a hospital or hospice). You could play well enough to bring the beauty of music to a small child.
[I once played well enough to keep the rapt attention of a captive parrot who was surprisingly, a most appreciative audience. :lol: ]
In other words , you can bring the joy of music to many creatures who do not care if you flub a few notes.
Maybe you won't be THE next famous guitarist, but you could bring your music to those who would appreciate it.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:54 pm
ddray wrote:
kirolak wrote:

Well...
most of my music I composed and recorded on a very good guitar which cost me nothing and have very small value if someone will try to sell it :)
Teacher? mostly myself.
If someone will want it a lot and will have something to say - he will do it no matter what kind of guitar, strings or teacher.
But he should be ready to work very hard and to sacrifice many many things considerable valuable in life by most, to get to his music goals...
Well, that and music school. You were educated in music, too, in music school, right? Didn't I read that in another of your posts? Some of us were not. Big difference. Even if it was in different instruments. Big difference. It's not just about wanting it. There are very few people who have fully developed talents with no support at all. Very few.

It's too late for me, too, to be "A GUITARIST," but I watched a really inspiring documentary recently about Paul McCartney (I know, not at classical). Paul has boocoodles talent and experience, of course, and I'd never try to even think about emulating him, but... what struck me is that all through the film, it was clear that he still has this absolute JOY in making music. Every part of it. He loves it. And, in the end, that's what it should be about. That JOY. And I thought, wow, anyone can have that! I can have that! I can't have Paul McCartney's talent, joy, money, looks, whatever, but I can have that thing that's really the most important, that same JOY. That's pretty cool. :)
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 pm

SunnyDee wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
ddray wrote:
Well...
Teacher? mostly myself.
Well, that and music school. You were educated in music, too, in music school, right? Didn't I read that in another of your posts? Some of us were not. Big difference. Even if it was in different instruments. Big difference. It's not just about wanting it. There are very few people who have fully developed talents with no support at all. Very few.

It's too late for me, too, to be "A GUITARIST," but I watched a really inspiring documentary recently about Paul McCartney (I know, not at classical). Paul has boocoodles talent and experience, of course, and I'd never try to even think about emulating him, but... what struck me is that all through the film, it was clear that he still has this absolute JOY in making music. Every part of it. He loves it. And, in the end, that's what it should be about. That JOY. And I thought, wow, anyone can have that! I can have that! I can't have Paul McCartney's talent, joy, money, looks, whatever, but I can have that thing that's really the most important, that same JOY. That's pretty cool. :)
Thanks for reading my posts!
Yes I was in Music school and Music college. As an adult who already was self-taught, play and work as a musician..
But ... I started Music school the same year as I started to teach guitar (as a full time job) at 21. In USSR there I lived then (in 1979) it was not possible to teach guitar without formal education and I have no choice but to work and study (to get a paper) in music school myself. Soon I had a family and 2 children and to support them I had to work 3-4 jobs at the same time. I worked and study 16 -18 hours a day every day with no holidays or weekends. Music school was not free either - and I have to pay for it even I did not need it for my job, but just have to get a paper. Some jobs I did (because by Music alone was hard to support a family) were really hard and dirty. Nobody helped me or supported me by any money etc. and with family of four we lived in just one room of communal apartment with many alcoholics neighbors and one small kitchen and bathroom for all 10 families. And I work and work and even managed to compose music and write poetry while sometimes doing hard physical work (music work sometimes was not enough to support family) - I carried notebook with me and was working and writing using short breaks. And in my childhood life was quite tough as well. I was happy - I had a beautiful wife and children and a lot of music and poetry sounding in my head - yet in USSR I could publish nothing and could not play in clubs with my band as PM could.
and I could not publish any poetry either unless I will do a big compromise with myself and write something politically correct then which I never agreed.
I probably never been a very good teacher - pupils were happy, but I was multitasking - even while teaching a lesson I composed music and poetry or learning something myself. :)
Now many people listening my music and I am happy I can publish it and very grateful to listeners ! but then? nobody supported me, except my wife...
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:55 pm

lagartija wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:49 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:56 pm
kirolak wrote:
nobody is perfect...
humans are humans...
+1

It all depends on what you wish to accomplish. You could work hard and play well enough to Bring a bit of respite to someone who is in pain (play at a hospital or hospice). You could play well enough to bring the beauty of music to a small child.
[I once played well enough to keep the rapt attention of a captive parrot who was surprisingly, a most appreciative audience. :lol: ]
In other words , you can bring the joy of music to many creatures who do not care if you flub a few notes.
Maybe you won't be THE next famous guitarist, but you could bring your music to those who would appreciate it.
100% agree!!!
yes - some people who never been recognized as "greats" are really great in what they do and in hearts of people who enjoy it! :)

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:10 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes I was in Music school and Music college. As an adult who already was self-taught, play and work as a musician..
But ... I started Music school the same year as I started to teach guitar (as a full time job) at 21. In USSR there I lived then (in 1979) it was not possible to teach guitar without formal education and I have no choice but to work and study (to get a paper) in music school myself. Soon I had a family and 2 children and to support them I had to work 3-4 jobs at the same time. I worked and study 16 -18 hours a day every day with no holidays or weekends. Music school was not free either - and I have to pay for it even I did not need it for my job, but just have to get a paper. Some jobs I did (because by Music alone was hard to support a family) were really hard and dirty. Nobody helped me or supported me by any money etc. and with family of four we lived in just one room of communal apartment with many alcoholics neighbors and one small kitchen and bathroom for all 10 families. And I work and work and even managed to compose music and write poetry while sometimes doing hard physical work (music work sometimes was not enough to support family) - I carried notebook with me and was working and writing using short breaks. And in my childhood life was quite tough as well. I was happy - I had a beautiful wife and children and a lot of music and poetry sounding in my head - yet in USSR I could publish nothing and could not play in clubs with my band as PM could.
and I could not publish any poetry either unless I will do a big compromise with myself and write something politically correct then which I never agreed.
I probably never been a very good teacher - pupils were happy, but I was multitasking - even while teaching a lesson I composed music and poetry or learning something myself. :)
Now many people listening my music and I am happy I can publish it and very grateful to listeners ! but then? nobody supported me, except my wife...
You've certainly worked very hard! I'm glad you are happy and sharing your music now. All the best with it!
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:07 pm

SunnyDee wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:10 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 pm

You've certainly worked very hard! I'm glad you are happy and sharing your music now. All the best with it!
Thanks SunnyDee! :)

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Well...
Teacher? mostly myself.
If someone will want it a lot and will have something to say - he will do it no matter what kind of guitar, strings or teacher. ...
That's pretty much my setup as well, although I haven't accomplished what you have. But I'm happy with it. I wasn't criticizing those who do have top-rate teachers and gear either. To have that is great. It's just not in the cards for me. :D

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:47 pm

If you can't afford a best-of-class teacher, ask them anyway. Even if you have only a moderate technical/mechanical foundation, but an absolute passion for artistry, are willing to dedicate the time, and do EXACTLY as they recommend, some teachers will "figure out the money" for you.

There are teachers don't always teach for the money, just as there are some players who don't always play for money.

Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm

ddray wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Well...
Teacher? mostly myself.
If someone will want it a lot and will have something to say - he will do it no matter what kind of guitar, strings or teacher. ...
That's pretty much my setup as well, although I haven't accomplished what you have. But I'm happy with it. I wasn't criticizing those who do have top-rate teachers and gear either. To have that is great. It's just not in the cards for me. :D
Thanks for your comment ddray!
Yes, good gear is good - and that guitar, even cost me nothing would be equal to very expensive one by sound and playability.
Good teachers are certainly great too!
I do not criticize anybody in particular.
But the whole academical system is rejecting folks like me... :)

GentlemanGhost

Post by GentlemanGhost » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am

I notice many are talking about the cost of a good teacher as if lessons can be a considerable price. This is something I've been curious about as I browse the local teachers here in NYC. I wouldn't mind paying a high fee if I could take an hour lesson once/twice a month and in that hour get a considerable amount to work on until the next lesson. Is this a feasible way to approach lessons or is a weekly schedule important? Also, can anyone give me an idea of cost? The local teacher I'm most excited about contacting is Gohar Vardanyan, who has a pretty established reputation as a teacher. What should I expect someone like her to charge per hour?

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm

GentlemanGhost wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am
I notice many are talking about the cost of a good teacher as if lessons can be a considerable price. This is something I've been curious about as I browse the local teachers here in NYC. I wouldn't mind paying a high fee if I could take an hour lesson once/twice a month and in that hour get a considerable amount to work on until the next lesson. Is this a feasible way to approach lessons or is a weekly schedule important? Also, can anyone give me an idea of cost? The local teacher I'm most excited about contacting is Gohar Vardanyan, who has a pretty established reputation as a teacher. What should I expect someone like her to charge per hour?
Email her and ask what her charge is and whether she thinks once/twice a month is ok. I had email exchanges with her. She is pretty responsive.

I noted before, she is one of my guitar heroes.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”