Lesson book D01 help.

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
rajesh_3615

Lesson book D01 help.

Post by rajesh_3615 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello everyone.
I am not able to figure out the meaning of the symbols heighted in the below snapshot :( . Please help me
Thanks in advance.
:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rajesh_3615 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Lesson book D01 help.

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Rajesh,

It seems you didn't manage to attach the snapshot, but you'll find explanations of some of the symbols on page 4 of the D01 scores. They are in four languages, so you have to look down to find the English description. Also there are explanations of a couple of the symbols in the Lessons FAQ here. Does that help?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Sir, The snapshot was bigger than the allowed limit and I didn't realize it while posting this on forum. I have added those snaps now.
The meaning of \2 and that flower symbol highlighted in yellow and that long line in the second image highlighted in yellow.

Thanks for helping.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:13 pm

The flower symbol means you damp a preceding note to stop it from ringing on beyond its specified length and causing disharmony with other notes. You mostly damp it by resting a finger or thumb on it, and the \2 means that in this case you use the second finger of the left hand, probably by slightly leaning the finger as you fret an adjacent string. Likewise \i would mean damp with the index finger of the right hand, and so on.

The straight line in this case indicates which previous note is the one to damp, so in your second example you would damp the A string with the thumb (\p) when you play the E, and then damp the E when you get to the end of the second straight line.

That is to say you would play the E and let the thumb follow through so that the flesh comes to rest against the A string, damping it, and then after you play the next bass note you would immediately move the thumb back to rest the flesh briefly on the E string and damp it.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Thank you for explaining it.

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I find it extreme difficult to mute the strings with index finger. If you could please tell me if I skip the muting of the strings and practice the lessons will it become problematic in future.

Thank you !

Daniel Penalva

Post by Daniel Penalva » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Damping is essential to play without blurring harmony, it also enhance your precision in fingering, slow down your tempo and figure out how to play :D

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Damping is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult parts of playing the guitar. It is a strain on the brain and requires much more concentration and awareness than playing without damping. However, to achieve crisp, clean articulation, damping is essential. There are many damping techniques:
  • When playing a note with the thumb, you can angle the thumb slightly towards the next lower string to dampen it.
  • When playing with thumb or finger, you can make an elliptical motion back to the string you just played to dampen it.
  • You can use any available left-hand finger to dampen a string.
  • You can lay the outside of the fourth finger of the right hand across all strings to dampen all of them (for instance at the end of a piece)
  • You can do the same with palm.
There are probably more, which I either forgot or don't know about. Try to get used to damping as early as possible. Try to understand when to dampen and why and how. I am not aware of any method text on damping. It is not my strong point, and I do not feel that I can help you here, except to tell you that it is important.
When your ear is trained to listen to guitar music carefully, I think you will find that you get tired very quickly of listening to a player who does not articulate properly by damping.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Damping can be over done, it is mainly a matter of personal taste. Also, as you get better, it gets easier to learn. You might want to watch my video on damping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAP9T2 ... D7FA3F7B59

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 pm

kmurdick wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm
Damping can be over done, it is mainly a matter of personal taste. Also, as you get better, it gets easier to learn. You might want to watch my video on damping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAP9T2 ... D7FA3F7B59
I find thumb damping to be easy compared to index and middle finder damping. No Matter how slow I learn I get stuck while damping with index finger.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm

rajesh_3615 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 pm
I find thumb damping to be easy compared to index and middle finder damping. No Matter how slow I learn I get stuck while damping with index finger.
I agree. Thumb damping is easy. The other relatively easy technique is to circle back to the same string with the same right-hand finger. Using the other fingers of the right hand to damp is more difficult (requires much more attention from the brain). You can also use any available finger of the left hand (same problem: requires large amount of attention from the brain). Keep in mind that only open strings need damping. For fretted strings, you can just lift the fretting finger slightly. And sometimes you can play apoyando to dampen the next lower string. This is rarely useful, because normally you need to dampen the string BEFORE you play the next note.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm
And sometimes you can play apoyando to dampen the next lower string. This is rarely useful, because normally you need to dampen the string BEFORE you play the next note.
Not sure about that - it depends on the context, obviously, but speaking for myself I usually prefer to have the two notes sounding together for an instant than to have a gap between them. I think you get a moment's grace while the new note is getting under way.

Not that I often use apoyando for this reason - but I do often circle the thumb back to the previous string after playing the new one.

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for helping me out over here. I have taken a break from learning to mute the strings, it was very frustrating. In my entire journey of learning to play classical guitar this is the most difficult thing I have come across.

I hope once I go back to it in a couple of days later it would slightly be easy then what it is now, I do this whenever I get stuck while learning a technique.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”